Abu Dhabi vs Dubai
Though Abu Dhabi and Dubai are two emirates forming the United Arab Emirates that includes in total 7 emirates, we can see some differences between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Of the 7 cities or emirates, Abu Dhabi is smaller in size though it is the capital of the UAE while Dubai is the 2nd largest in area and first in population. Both the emirates hold great significance and importance in the administration of UAE and have veto powers to decide on matters of national importance. The two cities, though very rich and powerful, are as different as chalk and cheese, and as hard to compare as LA and San Francisco. This article attempts to highlight the differences between these two important emirates of UAE.
More about Abu Dhabi
If one looks at the two cities, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, from the eyes of a westerner, it appears that Abu Dhabi is traditional and quieter of the two. Abu Dhabi means business, and it is official in nature. Since Abu Dhabi is smaller in size, you need not be concerned about the location of your flat or home to reach the office on time. One also does not need to drive around as there are hundreds of taxis plying on the roads. Though rents are at present lower than those in Dubai, all other things are priced in a similar manner as in Dubai.
Abu Dhabi is more of an island than a proper city, and for many important activities, (like car repair), you may need to go to the mainland. The attractions in Abu Dhabi are the Emirates Palace, Ferrari World, and the Grand Mosque.
More about Dubai
If one looks at the two cities, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, from the eyes of a westerner, it appears that Dubai is noisier and full of tourists all the time. From the outset, it becomes clear that Dubai is made out for the tourists.
Western influences are clearly seen on Dubai with the same kind of hectic nightlife as you would expect in Paris or London. Dubai is world famous for the shopping experience it presents with a number of malls. The main attractions in Dubai are Burj Khalifa, Burj Al Arab, and lots of shopping.
Those who have visited both Abu Dhabi and Dubai have various opinions with regard to the cities. Some prefer Dubai because of the entertainments it offers. Those that are in favor of Dubai even say that unless one has work to do one should not go to Abu Dhabi as it does not have as many attractions as Dubai. They even say that people in Dubai are more open-minded; that may be due to the western influence.
What is the difference between Abu Dhabi and Dubai?
Let us compare the two emirates on a few points.
• Abu Dhabi is smaller than Dubai.
• Abu Dhabi is 972. 45 km2 in size.
• Dubai is 4,114 km2 in size.
• Cost of Living:
• Though an observation1 will show you that Dubai has a higher cost of living, the difference between the two cities is slight.
• All that is there in Dubai is available in Abu Dhabi too, albeit on a smaller scale.
• You would find only one in an area in Abu Dhabi while you could easily find 9-10 pubs in Dubai.
• Dubai has a vast number of shopping malls and is much more famous for shopping experience than Abu Dhabi.
• Abu Dhabi is greener than Dubai.
• Dubai has higher rise buildings than Abu Dhabi.
• Traffic Control:
• Traffic in Dubai is also regulated in a much better manner than in Abu Dhabi.
• Abu Dhabi, being the capital of UAE is more political in nature.
• Dubai is more commercial and glamorous in nature.
In the end, it would suffice to say that if you are looking for a glamour packed life, stay in Dubai, but if you like the conservative and laid-back approach, Abu Dhabi might be a better choice for you. Some people who have travelled to both places have different opinions. So, think about the environment you prefer before choosing one city.