Aftershave vs Cologne
There is a distinct difference between aftershave and cologne, the two substances that are used in the process of shaving the beard. Actually, both are used after the shaving of the beard is done, but with a difference because they are used for different purposes. The main purpose of aftershave is to hydrate and soothe the skin after a shave. On the other hand, the cologne is used to add fragrance. However, we often find that, like colognes, many companies manufacture aftershave too in many fragrances much to the delight of their users. This article will elaborate more on the differences between aftershave and cologne by explaining what they contain and how they work on your skin.
What is Aftershave?
Aftershave is used immediately after shaving your beard with either the use of a shaving cream or a shaving gel. One of the purposes of using aftershave is to hydrate the skin and give a soothing and cooling effect to the skin immediately after a shave. Therefore, it has ingredients that give the soothing and cooling effect as well as ingredients to hydrate the skin. If you notice the labels in some aftershaves, you may even notice Manuka honey, which is a good hydrator, in the ingredient list. Aftershave is also used to get some sort of relief from pain due to small cuts that might result from the use of razor during shave. The antiseptic ingredients present in aftershave perform the healing of the cuts or small wounds that might result while shaving.
Since the main purpose of an aftershave is to soothe, moisturize and scent your freshly shaved skin, you will see that an aftershave contains, as mentioned above, antiseptic agent (an astringent), a hydrator (such as Aloe Vera), and a fragrance (essential oils or synthetic chemicals). Moreover, aftershave is used only on the face and the chin after a shave. Aftershave is not related much to scent. Aftershave only contains around 1% -3% perfume oil. So, the scent is not long lasting.
What is Cologne?
Cologne can, not only be used after shaving, it can be worn any time you want. Cologne is used to add some fragrance to your face after a shave. Or else, if you are going out at night or in day time, to add some fragrance to you, cologne can be used. This is the main purpose behind the use of cologne.When applying cologne, it is applied strategically on other parts of the body (wrists, chest, etc.) as well. So, you understand that cologne is used mainly for the purpose of adding scent to the body. Hence, it is more scented than anything else. As a result, some permitted oils are also used in the making of cologne. Cologne contains around 2% – 5% perfume oil. As a matter of fact, cologne is more expensive when compared to an aftershave.
What is the difference between Aftershave and Cologne?
• Aftershave is used immediately after shaving as the name implies. However, cologne can be used after shaving or simply when you are going out in the day time or the night time.
• Main purpose of an aftershave is to soothe, moisturize, and scent the freshly shaved skin.
• Aftershave includes antiseptic agents that help to sooth the cuts made by the razor. Cologne does not have such antiseptic agents.
• When it comes to fragrance, cologne is more fragrant than an aftershave. The purpose of cologne is to add a pleasant scent to its wearer.
• Aftershave is applied to only face and chin. However, cologne is applied to other parts of the body such as wrists and chest too as it is aiming at giving out fragrance.
• More perfume oil is included in cologne than in aftershave. As a result, the perfume of the cologne is long lasting than aftershave.
• Cologne is more expensive than an aftershave.