Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy S5
As Apple and Samsung are two very competitive brands, knowing the difference between Apple iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S5, the two latest phones from Apple and Samsung respectively, is very useful. Apple iPhone 6 Plus, which is the latest and most powerful smartphone introduced by Apple so far was released on 19th September 2014 alongside with Apple iPhone 6. On the other hand, Galaxy S5 was introduced by Samsung on 11th April 2014, which is a bit earlier than the prior. Though Samsung releases lots of different smartphone models very frequently, Galaxy S5 can be considered the most powerful smartphone out of Samsung smartphones available today. The most significant difference between iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy S5 is that iPhone 6 Plus runs on Apple iOS 8 as the operating system, which is very neat, smooth and user friendly, while Galaxy S5 runs Android KitKat, which provides the user a vast range of customizations. Apple iPhone 6 Plus is a little bit heavier than Galaxy S5, but it is thinner than the Galaxy S5. The CPU and RAM capacity in Galaxy S5 is much higher when compared to iPhone 6 plus and also the camera in Galaxy S5 supports a very high resolution than the iPhone 6 plus. However, even though the specification values are high in Galaxy S5, many known benchmark test states that the performance of the iPhone 6 Plus is still better. For example, according to Basemark OS II results, iPhone 6 Plus has a score of 1404.74 but Galaxy S5 has got a score of only 1227.71. Also, according to Geekbench 3 multicore results, Galaxy S5 has a score of just 3998 while iPhone 6 Plus has a score of 4548. Also, despite the higher value of the resolution of the camera in Galaxy S5, the overall picture quality taken by iPhone 6 Plus is better than Galaxy S5. However, Galaxy S5 has many extra features over iPhone 6 Plus. A notable feature that is available in Galaxy S5 and not in iPhone 6 Plus is the water and dust resistance.
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review – features of Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Apple iPhone 6 Plus supports up to 4G cellular networks. Also, models for CDMA networks are also available. The size of the phone is 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm and the weight is 172 g. A fingerprint sensor that enables Touch ID makes the device more secure against any unauthorized access. The display that supports a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels with a pixel density around 401 ppi is good even at wide viewing angles. The processor being a 64 bit dual core ARM based 1.4 GHz processor and RAM capacity being 1GB, it lets applications run at very good performance and speed. Camera that has a resolution of 8 MP consists of a lot of advanced features that enable the user to capture very high-quality photos. Videos can be captured at 1080p HD resolution an immense frame rate of 60fps. The phone also contains a Power VRG 6450 GPU that can render very promising graphics. iOS 8 is the operating system running on the phone, but it can be later upgraded to version 8.1 if needed. The operating system is very user friendly and smooth.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Review – features of Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy S5 also supports up to 4G cellular networks, but CDMA models are not available. The dimensions are 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm and the weight is 145 g. This also has a fingerprint sensor even though the usability of that is not as promising as in iPhone 6 plus. A very special feature in the Galaxy S5 is that it is water resistant up to more than 1 meter.Also, it is dust resistant. The display that is of resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels has a pixel density of 432 ppi. The processor is a Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 processor while the RAM capacity is 2GB. Although these values are double the values on iPhone 6 plus, different benchmark tests show that still the performance of Samsung Galaxy S5 is bit behind the iPhone 6 plus. The camera has a huge resolution of 16 MP with many advanced features. Video resolution is also incredibly high which is 2160p. This device also has an Adreno 330 GPU for graphics processing. The device runs on Android 4.4.2, which is also known as KitKat. Though the performance of the operating system is not as smooth as the Apple iOS 8, this operating system provides the user a vast range of customizations than what iOS gives.
What is the difference between Apple iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S5
• Apple iPhone 6 Plus was released in September 2014 while Samsung Galaxy S5 was released in February 2014. So, iPhone 6 Plus is bit newer than Galaxy S5.
• The dimensions of iPhone 6 plus is 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm while they are 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 m in Galaxy S5. So iPhone 6 Plus is 1mm thinner than the Galaxy S5.
• The supported SIM size is nano in iPhone 6 Plus. However, Galaxy S5 supports micro SIMS.
• The weight of iPhone 6 Plus is 172g while Galaxy S5 is 145g. So Galaxy S5 is bit lighter.
• Galaxy S5 is water and dust resistant. However, iPhone 6 plus do not have these features.
• iPhone 6 Plus consists of an A8 chip that comprises an ARM based 64 bit Dual-core 1.4 GHz processor. The processor speed and the number of cores in Galaxy S5 are twice as the former. It is a Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 processor that is in Galaxy S5.
• The RAM capacity in iPhone 6 Plus is just 1GB, but it is 2 GB on Galaxy S5.
• The internal storage of the iPhone 6 Plus can be one of 16GB, 64GB or 128GB depending on the price. Nevertheless, the issue in iPhone 6 Plus is that it does not have a memory card slot. Though Galaxy S5 can have storage capacities of only either 16GB or 32GB it supports microSD cards up to 128GB.
• The GPU in the iPhone 6 Plus is a PowerVR GX6450 while the GPU on Galaxy S5 is Adreno 330.
• The secondary front camera in iPhone 6 plus is 1.2 MP. It is 2MP on Galaxy S5.
• The resolution of the screen is 1080 x 1920 pixels in both devices. However, iPhone 6 Plus has only a 401 ppi pixel density, while it is higher as 432 ppi on Galaxy S5. The screen of iPhone 6 Plus is a LED-backlit IPS LCD, which is made of shatter -proof glass with oleophobic coating. On the other hand, the screen of Galaxy S5 is a Super AMOLED screen made of Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
• iPhone 6 Plus has only USB 2.0 but Galaxy S5 has the latest version, which is USB 3.0.
• Both devices have fingerprint sensors. Apple fingerprint sensor, which is enabled by Touch ID, is said to be very effective than what is found on Galaxy S5.
• Apple iPhone 6 Plus has an accelerometer, a gyro, a proximity sensor, a compass and a barometer. Samsung Galaxy S5 apart from those mentioned sensors also has a gesture sensor and a heart rate sensor.
• The camera in iPhone 6 Plus is 8MP. It has features such as optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus and dual-LED flash. The camera on Galaxy S5 is 16 MP, but it has only phase detection autofocus and LED flash features.
• The video capturing in iPhone 6 Plus can be 1080p at 60 fps or 720p at 240 fps with optical stabilization. On the other hand, Galaxy S5 can capture 2160p at 30 fps or 1080p at 60 fps, or 720p at 120fps with HDR and dual-video rec features.
• iPhone 6 Plus has a rechargeable battery of capacity 2915 mAh. Galaxy S5 has a rechargeable battery of 2800mAh capacity.
• iPhone 6 Plus battery lets 24h of talk time while Galaxy S5 lets only 21h of talk time.
• Apple iPhone 6 Plus runs iOS 8 as the operating system. This operating system is not that much customizable, but it is very user-friendly. Galaxy S5 runs the latest Android version called KitKat and which is a very customizable.
In a nutshell:
Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy S5
When comparing the technical specifications of iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy S5, you could see that though Galaxy S5 has a considerably lower price than the iPhone 6 plus, Galaxy S5 has twice the amount of RAM and twice the frequency and number of cores in the processor. Nevertheless, results of different benchmarks tests show that the performance of Galaxy S5 is not yet better than iPhone 6 Plus. Also, Galaxy S5 has a camera that has twice the resolution supported by iPhone 6 Plus, but again the quality of photos taken is high in iPhone 6 Plus. Another notable feature in Galaxy S5 is the water and dust resistance. Moreover, Galaxy S5 has many more extra features over iPhone 6 Plus. However, the quality, stability and the usability of the Apple iPhone 6 Plus is much higher. Also, the iOS 8 used in iPhone 6 Pus is much user-friendly and stable than Android 4.4.2 found on Galaxy S5. Nevertheless, iOS does not allow many customizations as android allows.
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus by Kārlis Dambrāns (CC BY 2.0)
- Samsung Galaxy S5 with Gear Fit smartwatch by Kārlis Dambrāns (CC BY 2.0)