Aqua vs Turquoise
Because of the close resemblance in colour, it is difficult to identify the difference between Aqua and Turquoise in the first look, if one is not used to different shades of a colour. We often find two or more colors that resemble one another to such an extent that it becomes difficult to differentiate them. Aqua and Turquoise are two such colors that often are taken to be one and the same due to this close resemblance with each other. It is interesting to note that aqua and turquoise belong to a group of spectrum of colors called the cyan spectrum (green to blue colour range). The group comprises of the three colors, namely, aqua, turquoise and aquamarine. They bear very close resemblance to one another due to the fact that they all have traces of blue and green colors in common. This is not the case with colors such as red and blue since they are quite easily distinguishable from each other. On the contrary, aqua and turquoise are not easily distinguishable from each other.
What is Aqua?
The Oxford English dictionary says that aqua is ‘a light bluish-green colour.’ According to this, you can say that aqua can be sensed as a color between green and blue. This is the reason why aqua can be spotted very easily in the color wheel. In the cyan range of colors aqua is often considered indistinguishable from aquamarine and hence the real difference is between aqua and turquoise. Unlike turquoise, aqua has the shades of blue and green in the same proportion. When it comes to the RGB value, the RGB value of aqua is 0, 255 and 255. This shows that the presence of red in aqua is virtually a zero, while green value is 255 and blue value is 255. You can now see what was meant by aqua having the same proportion of green and blue.
What is Turquoise?
The Oxford English dictionary says that turquoise is ‘a greenish-blue colour.’ It can be said that turquoise is much lighter than aqua. This shows you that turquoise is more green than blue. In other words, turquoise is characterized by the presence of extra green over the blue. In short, it can be said that turquoise is a green shade of the cyan range of colors. It may be recalled that there is also a gem by the name of turquoise and hence it is felt that the color got its name from the gem of the same color. The RGB value of turquoise is 64, 224 and 208. This means red value is 64, green value is 224 and blue value is 208.
What is the difference between Aqua and Turquoise?
• Both aqua and turquoise appear in the cyan spectrum, which consists of colours from green to blue.
• Turquoise is characterized by extra green over blue when aqua has blue and green in the same proportion. This is a major difference between the two colors, namely, aqua and turquoise.
• Aqua is light bluish green while turquoise is greenish blue colour.
• It is also interesting to note that the RGB value of (the red-green-blue value of) turquoise is quite different from that of aqua.The RGB value of turquoise is 64, 224 and 208. The RGB value of aqua is 0, 255 and 255.
• Aqua is also considered indistinguishable from aquamarine.
• There is also a gem called turquoise.