Astrology vs Astronomy
Difference between astrology and astronomy in the simplest form is this; astronomy is a science while astrology is considered a pseudo-science by modern scientists. However, we can all accept that astronomy and astrology are similar looking words that are also somewhat related. This is what confuses people about their differences, and there are many who think both studies are the same. This is a wrong view as astrology has many differences from astronomy that will be highlighted in this article. However, we should remember that the difference between astrology and astronomy took place because with time people began to think in a more logical way.
What is Astrology?
While both astronomy and astrology involve study of movement of celestial bodies, astrology is a set of beliefs and thoughts that movement of sun, moon, planets, and stars, etc. have an effect on an individual’s personality and also have a bearing on his present and future. Both astronomy and astrology study heavens but only astrology makes predictions about future events on earth and, in particular, in an individual’s life based upon this study. Modern scientists consider astrology as a pseudoscience and superstition. But to ridicule a field of study just because it cannot be proven does not mean it is wrong. There are many supporters and takers for this field of study who believe that planetary motion has a lot to do with what a person is and what the future holds for him based upon the motion of celestial bodies.
What is Astronomy?
On the other hand, astronomy is a scientific study of motion of these celestial bodies and is very similar to astrophysics, which is why it is accepted as a science. Both astronomy and astrology study heavens but astronomy does not make any predictions about what will happen in an individual’s life. The only predictions made by astronomy is about the path of different celestial bodies, how long till they see the end of their existence and such. No predictions are made about how the movement of these planets affects the lives of humans. It is a fact that astrology gave birth to modern science of astronomy as ancient priests in Mesopotamia studied the night skies and the movement of stars and other heavenly bodies in their predictions. The fact that they made predictions based upon these movements implies that they indulged in both astronomy as well as astrology. It is a fact though, that modern day astrologers do not study heavenly bodies and make predictions solely on the basis of all the knowledge that was gathered by astrologists thousands of years ago. On the other hand, the information and data collected by astronomers is documented and verified by astrophysicists. As a result, astronomers are considered scientists and command respect as they try to unravel mysteries surrounding celestial bodies.
What is the difference between Astrology and Astronomy?
• Astronomy and astrology are similar studies of movement of celestial bodies.
• While astrology is a set of beliefs and thoughts that planetary motions have bearings on life of human beings, astronomy merely records movements of heavenly bodies and is considered a science.
• Astrology is supposed to have given birth to astronomy.
• The data collected through astronomy is verified with astrophysics, but modern day astrologers do not make verifications with the knowledge that was gathered by astrologists thousands of years ago.
• Both astronomy and astrology study heavens, but astronomy does not make any predictions whereas astrology makes predictions about future events on earth and in particular in an individual’s life based upon this study.