Authentic vs Replica Jerseys
Difference between authentic and replica jerseys is the knowledge you need, to shop for a jersey that suits you as a fan of your favorite team. Let me explain. You are a big fan of your favorite NFL team and love one of the star players. You never miss an opportunity to cheer up for your favorite team wherever it plays. When your team takes the ground, you are already dressed up wearing the jersey of your team as it gives you the feel of being an insider. But, what if the player you loved so much has switched his loyalties and signed up for another team? You certainly need a new jersey but are confused as there are two types of jerseys available in the market, the authentic jersey and the replica jersey. Do you know the difference between them, or buy without giving a thought? Let us find out the real differences between authentic jersey and replica jersey.
First of all, don’t think that just because they are called replicas, they are any less legit than the authentic jerseys. It is not that they are made in some labor camp in a third world country. Yes, there are many differences between authentic and replica jerseys or otherwise how can one justify almost double the price of an authentic jersey? There is no need to feel guilty when you buy a replica jersey as though it costs less; a little part of the money you pay does go to support your favorite team.
What are Authentic Jerseys?
The most important fact is this. The authentic jerseys are really the real ones. That is why they are also known by names such as ‘player cut jersey, performance cut jersey, or match jersey.’ They are the same quality that is worn by the players themselves. Right from the fabric to the stitching, everything is top of the line so as to allow them to pass the stern test of actual playing conditions. You would find extra reinforcement on the shoulder and elbow to prevent tearing of jerseys from these points. The main feature of an authentic jersey is that the name of the player, logo of the team, and the number of the jersey are embroidered on authentic jerseys. Authentic jerseys are a little expensive, but they are also the ones that give that real feeling.
What are Replica Jerseys?
Replica jerseys are also known as stadium jerseys or fan jerseys. This is because they are targeted for the fans. As we all know, teams pay for the jerseys of their players. But, as fans, we have to shell out our hard earned money for the purpose. And since sometimes our budget doesn’t allow reaching out for authentic jerseys, we can always buy replica jerseys. These are jerseys in which we can expect some compromise made in the quality of the fabric and labor that stitches the jersey. The number and logo are not embroidered; they are just screen printed in replicas, and sometimes, there is a slight color difference too. However, as a fan if you choose to buy a replica jersey you can spend the rest of the money to buy a good seat for the match.
What is the difference between Authentic and Replica Jerseys?
• Authentic jerseys are also known as player cut jersey, performance cut jersey, or match jersey. Replica jerseys are also known as match jerseys or fan jerseys.
• The number and logo are embroidered in authentic jerseys whereas they are screen printed in replica jerseys.
• There is extra cushioning on shoulders and elbows in authentic jerseys to prevent tearing. Such extra cushioning is not there in replica jerseys.
• The fabric and stitching of authentic jerseys is better than replica jerseys.
• Replica jerseys are available at half the price of authentic jerseys.
• An authentic jersey is normally made to fit the players’ body perfectly. So, they are not loose. However, replica jerseys, as they target fans, have a loose cut.
• Some jersey manufacturers use different tags to identify authentic and replica jerseys. For example, take Nike jerseys. The tags of Nike jerseys are situated on the bottom right of the front panel of the jersey. In an authentic Nike jersey, this tag is gold. In a replica Nike jersey, this tag is silver.
- Front of the France national ice hockey jersey by Ohkami (CC BY-SA 3.0)
- Replica Jerseys by Clio64 (CC BY-SA 3.0)