Aztecs vs Incas
A number of differences can be identified between Aztecs and Incas as they are two different civilizations. Aztecs and Incas are two of the great civilizations of South America. Though, both these civilizations are Pre-European in their origin, it is the Native American people who have marvelous accomplishments in the history. Both of the civilizations have got their differences as they have evolved differently. Though Incas are known as a peaceful civilization, they too took part in sacrificial ceremonies and such. However, when compared with Aztecs, Incas were certainly peaceful. That is because Aztecs were very violent, and they are well known for their tribal methods of ruling.
More about Incas
Inca is a civilization that started as a tribe at an area where Sapa Inca, found Kingdom of Cuzco somewhere near A.D. 1200 years. Gradually, other Andean communities were included into Inca. Incas started to go through an expansion in 1442 while they were at Pachacutec’s command where Inca Empire was found resulting in the largest empire in Pre-Columbian America. Spanish conquerors, who were under the command of Francisco Pizarro, came here in 1533. Taking advantage of prevailing situation these conquerors obtained a large portion of the territory of Inca. In the coming years, these conquerors gained power of the entire Andean region which repressed successive resistance from residents of Inca and culminated establishment of Viceroyalty of Peru in the year 1542.
Though they could not prevent the Spanish conquerors, Incas are added to the history as a very advanced civilization. According to evidence, they had laws, roads, bridges and even a complicated irrigation system. Nevertheless, they never had introduced a writing system. As the history says, they used knotted ropes for record-keeping.
More about Aztecs
The people from Aztec were from certain ethnic groups of central Mexico, especially the groups who spoke the Nahuatl language who dominated large portions of Mesoamerica in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. Aztec is a word of Nahuatl language which means ‘people from Aztlan,’ which is a mythological place for people who speak this language. Aztec also refers to Mexican people of Tenochtitlan where Mexico City is located now. Tenochtitlan was their biggest city, and they found it in A.D 1325. The Mexican Valley, since 13th century had become the heart of Aztec Civilization, a place where Aztec Triple Alliance’s capital was built. This alliance formed the tributary empire for expansion of its political hegemony beyond the Mexican Valley while other cities through Mesoamerica were conquered. At the pinnacle of Aztec culture, it had rich and complex mythological and religious traditions with remarkable architecture and accomplishments which were artistic. The culture and history of Aztec is primarily known with the help of evidence of archaeological remains found in excavations like that of renowned Templo Mayor in the city of Mexico.
What is the difference between Aztecs and Incas?
• During the period of 1325 AD and 1523 AD, the Aztecs in the central Mexico swayed. The Aztecs created techniques of agriculture, which were great in the war race. Aztecs kept soil on rafts which were constituted from reeds. They would plant seeds on them and got their results. These floating gardens were regarded as Chinampas by Aztecs.
• Incas civilization lived on the South-Eastern Coast of South-America where modern Peru is situated now. This was in the time period from 1450 A.D. to 1535 A.D.
• The Incas had created a clever farming system by carving hillsides and using them to irrigate with water drawn from nearby canals and other streams. The major diets of this civilization were Beans, Squash, and Corn.
• People of Aztec civilization were particularly fierce, which was shown by the evidences in the norms followed in their social life and cultural life. Tlatchli was a game played by people from this civilization. Sacrifice of the losers of this game was done to make the god of Sun, llamas happy. Sacrifice has been evidently found in a major portion of their cultural life. People from this civilization used to go to war just to make them capable of bringing prisoners to perform the sacrifice to god.
• The civilization of Inca composed of people who loved peace. However, they too held sacrifices. The peaceful nature could be said as the reason for the easy downfall of this empire. King of this civilization, along with his nobles came to greet Francisco Pizarro, the Spain Conqueror, who killed all of them treacherously.
• Spanish conquerors destroyed both civilizations.
Images Courtesy: Jaguar warrior and Viracocha, is the great creator god in Inca mythology via Wikicommons (Public Domain)