Day vs Night
The difference between day and night literally means the difference between day time and night time. A day consists of both day time and night time. The period between the sun rise to the sun set is called the day time. The part of the earth that receives sunlight experiences the day time of the day while the part that does not receive sunlight experiences the night. Day and night changes based on the revolution of the earth on its axis. Since time immemorial, man had adapted well to differences between day and night. Electricity has been around for just over 150 years, and before that, for thousands of years, sunset declared an end to nearly all activities and time to rest till sunrise took place again in the morning. Humans have a body clock that has got used to rest at night and work at daytime. Besides obvious differences of light and darkness, there are many more differences between day and night that will be discussed in this article.
What is the atmosphere of a Day?
A calendar day is a 24 hour period between two consecutive midnights. During a day, we experience both day time as well as night time. Day time, which is literally referred to as day, is the part of the day when the Sun is up in the sky. In other words, a day starts with the sun rise and ends with the sun set. Warmth and comfort are two attributes of day. This is obviously because of the presence of sun during daytime. Daytime is familiar to all of us as our activities are centered on the time of the day. Every area surrounding us, whether it is the road in front of our house or the machinery in our factory looks familiar in daytime. This shows that everything is familiar during day.
Whatever we learn is during daytime. Whatever we do as in our work, whether it is working at an office or going to shop or repairing a car or mowing the lawn is done during the day. So, we work hard during daytime. Day is for learning and establishing our mastery over crafts and other tasks.There are scores of stimuli for our brain during day time which keeps us awake and busy. Growing kids feel assured and confident during day time. Not only for growing kids but for humans, in general, day brings security and confidence in its wake.
What is the atmosphere of a Night?
Night is the part of the day when the sun has gone down. Cold and darkness are associated with night. This is obviously because of the absence of the sun during nights. The places that are familiar to us such as the road in front of our house or the machinery of our factory look totally unfamiliar during night as we are not used to seeing them during nights. It seems we are in a strange world during nights because even the familiar things become unfamiliar as there is no sun light.
Growing kids are always fearful of nights. Nights, thus, breed fear and anxiety in the minds of humans. Aloneness during nights is more stressful for human beings than solitude at day time. The same sounds, shadows, and movements that are of no consequence and easily avoided during day time become a source of concern and breed worries and fears in our minds. It is no surprise then that serious patients and those having faced accidents confront more pain and feel more ill during nights than during daytime.
Our nights are for rest and relax as we have exhausted ourselves during the day working. Lack of stimuli during night makes us go into a sleep. Sleep gives us relaxation that also becomes necessary because of our hard work during day time. Night is meant for dreaming when we are fast asleep. Moreover, nights are mostly spent fantasizing with lights turned off and lying on our beds.
What is the difference between Day and Night?
Day and night is the two main parts of a day. Day is very bright with the presence of the sun while night is dark with the absence of the sun. Everything seems familiar during daytime, while same things look unfamiliar at night. Confidence and security are associated with day, whereas nights breed insecurity and fear. Humans have organized themselves to fit these different times of the day.
• Light and Darkness:
• Day means light.
• Night means darkness.
• Sunlight is available during the day.
• Sunlight is absent during the night.
• Sun and the Earth:
• The part of the earth that faces the sun experiences the day time.
• The part of the earth that faces the opposite side experiences the night time.
• Moon and Stars:
• Moon and stars are not visible during daytime.
• Moon and stars can be clearly seen during night time.
• Days are active, lively, and noisy.
• Night is associated with calm and quiet.
• Mind is full of stimuli during day.
• Mind lacks stimuli during night.
• Work and Rest:
• Day is reserved for work and all activities.
• Night is reserved for rest and sleep.
• Day is for learning and establishing our mastery.
• Night is meant for dreaming and fantasizing.
• During day, family is busy with earning and doing things to give materialistic comfort.
• During night, family finds warmth and closeness.
• Surrounding looks familiar during day time.
• During night even the known places look strange.
• Growing Children:
• Find comfort and confidence in day time.
• Nights breed fear and anxiety in the minds and children lose confidence.
• Different as day and night is a phrase that is used to refer two things that are completely opposite.
- The “Seven Sisters” – now three – on Durdham Down in Bristol by Rob Brewer (CC BY-SA 2.0)
- Night sky by Stas1995 (CC BY 4.0)