Hilarious vs Funny
English language has many words for something or someone who is amusing and makes us laugh. Funny and hilarious are two words that are very commonly used to describe a picture, event, or an object that brings laughter on our face. We see a commercial on TV and refer to it as funny and humorous. We also use the word hilarious to describe to something that is too funny. What then is the difference between hilarious and funny? Are these words merely synonyms or is there more to these words than meets our eye? Let us find out.
Funny comes from fun, and anything that provides fun is funny. When you read a comic strip and find it amusing, you are forced to laugh. Similarly, you laugh when you see or hear a funny remark. There can be a funny person, situation, remark, scene, episode, story, or just about anything that amuses us or makes us laugh. The most common examples of funny in sentences are as follows.
• She spoke in a funny manner
• He made a funny remark at the party
• The movie was really funny from start to the end
Funny is also used in a few other ways such as when something is amiss, suspicious, odd, or curious.
• Do not act funny with me, young man.
• Do not forget to tell the funny sensations you have in your stomach.
Hilarious is a word that is used as an adjective for a situation, person, incident or an object that causes great merriment or amusement. Humorous cartoons and stories are also referred to as hilarious. Hilarious has many synonyms, and funny is certainly one of them. When describing a comedy film, the word hilarious is often used to refer to comic situations that are created. The word hilarious is used when someone or something is quite funny. If you come out of a theater and tell your friend that the movie was hilarious, all you want to convey is the fact that the movie was extremely funny.
What is the difference between Hilarious and Funny?
• Hilarious and funny mean the same thing, but there seems to be a difference in the degree of funniness.
• Something is funny when it makes you laugh, but it becomes hilarious when it is extremely funny.
• Something funny will make you laugh, while something hilarious will make you roll on to the floor and laugh uncontrollably.