HTC Desire HD vs Apple iPhone 4
HTC Desire HD and Apple iPhone 4 are amazing smartphones with whole lot of features imbibed in to the small gadgets. i Phone 4 has a very impressive design that captured the minds instantly upon launch and it created a benchmark for smartphone capability and performance with its high speed processor, huge memory and loads of applications to make your life easy. HTC Desire HD, a younger sibiling of HTC Desire, the smartphone of the year 2010, is a multimedia powerhouse with a huge display and Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound with HDMI out and DLNA certification. In addition HTC Sense have added many attractive features to the device. You cannot say one is good over the other, both are great phones, your buying decision is personal, it depends on your requirement. This article is only a guidance to make an informed decision.
HTC Desire HD
HTC Desire HD is an excellent multimedia phone with its 4.3” LCD display and Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual sound, an 8-megapixel camera with dual-flash and the capability of 720p HD video recording and stream it on to a bigger screen via DLNA. It was the first HTC phone to come with the 1GHz Qualcomm 8255 Snapdragon processor and has 768 MB RAM. Pinch to zoom and tap to zoom with multi window view and integrated Adobe Flash Player gives a good browsing experience to users.
HTC Desire HD is a solid aluminum candy bar that runs Android 2.2 with HTC Sense. The HTC Sense, which HTC calls as the social intelligence gives a unique experience to users with its many small but intelligent applications. The improved HTC Sense enables fast boot and has added many new multimedia features. HTC Sense has enhanced camera application with many camera features like full screen viewfinder, touch focus, onscreen access to camera adjustments and effects. The other features include HTC locations with on-demand mapping (service depend on the carrier), integrated e-reader that support text search from Wikipedia, Google, Youtube or dictionary. Browsing is made enjoyable with features like magnifier, quick look up to look for a word, Wikipedia search, Google search, YouTube search, Google translate and Google dictionary. You can add a new window for browsing or move from one to another windows by zooming in and out. It also offers a good music player, which is better than the standard Android music player. There are many other features with htc sense that give a beautiful experience to users.
The htcsense.com online service also available for this phone, users can register for this service in the HTC website. One of the feature of the online service is the missing phone locater, it will trigger the handset to ring loudly, even if it is in silent mode. It also can show you the location on a map. If needed users can remotely lock the phone or remotely wipe all personal data from the phone. Nothing to worry, users can reload call/contact data to another HTC phone from a PC browser.
The HTC Desire HD is available through mobile operators and retailers across major European and Asian markets from October 2010.
Apple iPhone 4
It’s difficult to say if there has ever been a smartphone that has caught the imagination of the people as much as iPhone 4. It is not just a phone; it is an idea that has caught on like a fever. The cult status of iPhone 4 among smartphones is a tribute to Apple’s marketing strategy and the image that it has developed for itself in the minds of the people.
iPhone 4 has a large LED backlit LCD display – Retina measuring 3.5” that is not huge but comfortable enough to read everything because it is extremely bright with a resolution of 960X640 pixels. The touchscreen is highly sensitive and scratch resistant. With a RAM of 512 MB and internal storage capacities of 16 and 32 GB depending upon the model you buy, this smartphone has a dual camera, with the rear one being 5MP 5X digital zoom with LED flash and illumination sensor – you can capture impressive video/photo at low light. The front camera can be used for video chatting and video calling. The phone works very smoothly with a super fast processor that is 1GHz Apple A4. The operating system is iOS 4 that is considered to be the best in the business. iPhone 4 is upgradeable to the latest iOS 4.3 that will add more features to iPhone 4. Web browsing on Safari is a pleasant experience and the user has the liberty to download thousands of apps from Apple’s app store. Emailing is fun with this smartphone as there is a full QWERTY virtual keyboard for fast typing. iPhone 4 is Facebook compatible to stay connected with friends with a single touch.
Mobile hotspot feature had been a negative scorer for iPhone, but that is introduced now with the iOS upgrade to iOS 4.3. You can share your data connection simultaneously with up to five devices via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB. The non inclusion of the Adobe Flash Player is still an issue with iPhone fans, however, iPhone 4 has integrated YouTube.
Apple iPhone 4 also has many of the features provided by HTC Sense, but in different names such as Find My Phone, iMovie for video/photo editing (purchase from App Store), Photobucket to play fun with your shots, Parental control is a good feature on iPhone where you can restrict access to some applications. Apple has many other attractive features such as AipPlay, AirPrint, Search my Phone, iBooks (from App Store), FaceTime and game Centre.
|HTC Desire HD vs Apple iPhone 4
• Overview – Both HTC Desire HD and iPhone 4 are great smartphones with loads of applications. Both are sleek candy bars, but iPhone 4 is more slimmer and lighter than HTC Desire HD. HTC Desire is a massive device with large display.
• Performance – HTC Desire HD boot faster than iPhone 4 and you can experience full multitasking with HTC Desire HD while Apple has put some restrictions on multi tasking in iPhone 4 to control the processor and battery power.
• Processor – The CPU clock speed is 1 GHz in both, but the HTC Desire HD has larger main memory. It has 768 MB RAM while iPhone 4 has 512 MB.
• Camera – HTC Desire HD sports a powerful 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash, iPhone camera is 5 megapixel with single LED flash, but both allow user to capture HD videos at 720p and have touch focus.
• Operating System – iPhone 4 use iOS 4.2 and it can be upgraded to 4.3, while OS in Desire HD is Android 2.2 with HTC Sense. Android is an open system and flexible while iOS is a proprietary system and closed. However, both Android 2.2 and iOS 4.2 have many similar features. IOS 4.3 has Safari browser while Android has full HTML WebKit browser and support Adobe Flash Player 10.1, that allows Android devices limitless browsing.
• Display Size – HTC Desire HD has a huge 4.3 inches while iPhones is a convenient 3.5 inches.
• Display Type – iPhone 4 has a better resolution at 960X640 on a smaller screen, while Desire has a resolution of 800X480 on a larger screen. iPhone 4 score more on text and image quality.
• Homescreen – iPhone 4 has limitation on number of applications for each screen to avoid cluttering, due to that it’s clean and gives a professional look while homescreen are more personalized and widgets are dynamic and content focused.
• Apps Store – Both allow user the ability to download thousands of apps, iPhone 4 from Apple’s App store, while HTC Desire from Android Market. Apps Store is the leader in the application market with over 200,000 applications and it has iTunes and Apple TV. Android Market is fast catching up with Apple App store. It also has Google Mobile Apps and Amazon App Store. And it has more percentage of free applications than Apple’s App Store. Also HTC has its own Media Hub.
• UI – HTC Desire HD makes use of amazing UI called HTC sense that gives users a very pleasing experience. While Apple UI is more elegant .
• FM Radio – While iPhone 4 does not have a FM, Desire boasts of FM
• Storage – iPhone 4 has two variations for internal memory 16 GB or 32 GB, but no support for memory expansion. HTC Desire HD has 1.5 GB in-board memory but support expansion up to 32 GB with microSD card.
• Third party Applications – Apple has restriction on third party application downloads in iPhone 4, HTC Desire is open for third party applications.
• Additonal Features – HTC Desire HD has Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound with DLNA that gives cinematic experience.
|Comparison of Specifications
iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire HD
|Design||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Form Factor||Candy bar||Candy bar|
|Keyboard||Virtual Full QWERTY||On-screen|
|Dimension||115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm||123 x 68 x11.8 mm|
|Weight||137 g||164 grams|
|Body Color||White, Black||Black|
|Display||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Size||3.5 inches||4.3 inches LCD|
|Resolution||960 x 640||WVGA 800 x 480|
|Features||16M color, Oleophobic coated, scratch resistance||16M Color, Capacitive touch, Pinch-to-zoom|
|Sensors||Three axis gyro, Accelerometor, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor||G-Sensor, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor|
|Operating System||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Platform||Apple iOS 4.2.1 (upgradeable to iOS 5)||Android 2.2 Froyo|
|Processor||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Model||Apple A4||Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon, Adreno 205 GPU|
|Memory||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|RAM||512 MB||768 MB|
|Included||16 GB/32 GB||1.5 GB|
|Expansion||No card Slot||microSD card slot|
|Camera||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Resolution||5.0 mega pixels||8 MP|
|Focus, Zoom||Auto, Digital, tap focus||Auto Focus|
|Video Capture||720p HD||HD [email protected]|
|Features||Double microphones, Geo tagging, Image stabilization||Geotagging, Built-in effects for depth of field, vignette|
|Secondary camera||0.3 VGA||G-Sensor, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor|
|Entertainment||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Audio||AAC, Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV||Dolby Mobile Surround; Support Formats ACC, AMR, OGG, M4A, MID, MP3, WAV, WMA Recording: AMR|
|Video||H.264, MPEG-4, M-JPEG||Support 3GP, 3G2, MP4, WMV, AVI, XVID Recording:3GP|
|FM Radio||No but Tunein Internet Radio App||Yes , Tunein Radio from Android Market|
|Battery||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Type Capacity||Li-ion non-removable battery; 1420 mAh||1230 mAh , Rechargeable Lithium-ion|
|Talktime||up to 14 hrs (2G), up to 7 hrs (3G)||550 min (2G), 320 min (3G)|
|Standby||max 500 hrs||420 hrs (2G), 490 hrs (3G)|
|Mail and Messaging||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Gmail, Email||Mail Client, Gmail Native App|
|Messaging||MMS, SMS, IM (GoogleTalk)||Google Talk, Facebook Chat, Beluga, SMS, MMS, Viber, Skype|
|Connectivity||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n. n at 2.4 kHz only||802.11 b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Hotspot||GSM model with upgrade to iOS 4.3, CDMA model||Yes|
|USB||Yes, connect via 30 pin dock adapter||micro-USB|
|Location Service||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Maps||Google Maps||Google Map|
|Lost-Theft Protection||Find my Phone||HTCsense.com , Lookout App from Android Market|
|Network Support||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|2G/3G||GSM/UMTS or CDMA||GSM, GPRS, EDGE / HSPA, WCDMA|
|Applications||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Apps||Apple Apps Store, iTunes||Android Market , Amazon App Store|
|Social Networks||Facebook, Twitter, SNS||Facebook, Twitter, Flickr|
|Voice Calling||Skype, Viber||Skype|
|Video Calling||Skype, Tango, QiK||Skype, Qik, Tango|
|Featured||AirPrint, AirPlay, Find my iPhone|
|Business Mobility||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|Remote VPN||Yes , CISCO Anyconnect, Juniper JunOS Pulse||Cisco Anyconnect, Juniper JunOS Pulse|
|Corporate Mail||Yes, Active Sync||Microsioft Exchange Active Sync|
|Corporate Directory||Yes||Cisco Jabber|
|Video Conferencing||Yes with CISCO WebEx||Cisco WebEX|
|Other Features||Join.Me, Goto Meeting|
|Security||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|MobileMe, Password Protected home screen||My Lookout App from Android Store|
|Additional Features||iPhone 4||HTC Desire HD|
|iBook, iMovie, FaceTime, Multiple language support, Mobile hotspot - no support in GSM model, connects up to 5 devices in CDMA model||Users can register at HTCSense.com and manage phones remotely and protect phones in case of loss|