Hybrid Car vs Normal Car | Hybrid Car vs Normal Car | Regular Car vs Hybrid Car
The traction force of both, a hybrid and a normal car, should be provided by a power train. The main difference between the two (Hybrid car and normal car) is the number of available power trains to meet the traction force. Conventional car occupies only one power train; usually with an internal combustion (IC) engine. Hybrid car consists two power trains mostly with an IC engine and an electric traction motor powered by a battery bank. Hybrid car can be introduced as a middle man between conventional car and an electric car, having optimized the benefits of both practically to realize the dreaming advantages of an ideal electric passenger car.
The power train of a normal car consists of an IC engine, clutch or torque converter, transmission, final drive and differential to power the drive shaft, and the driven wheels. The power also should be provided for the auxiliary systems, like power steering, climate control etc., through the same power train. Although, there is an energy recovery system incorporated to recover waste engine heat for heating purpose during cold climate, there is no sophisticated energy management system built with normal car.
The conceptual configuration of a hybrid vehicle consists of few subsystems; IC engine propulsion, electric propulsion, energy sourcing sub system, which consists of an energy source, energy management unit, energy refueling unit, and then an auxiliary sub system, which uses power to climate control, power steering etc. The various arrangements of those subsystems categorize the hybrid cars to few main types having different advantages.
The use of different combinations of two propulsions is also used to categorize the hybrid types, and those options that are used to provide traction power in hybrid cars are engine alone, motor alone, both propulsion at the same time, motor obtains power from load (regenerative braking), motor obtains power from the engine, motor obtains power from engine and load at the same time, engine delivers power to load and to motor at the same time, engine delivers power to motor, and motor delivers power to load and engine delivers power to load, and load delivers power to the motor.
The main hybrid categories based on above propulsion options are parallel hybrids (Honda Insight), mild parallel hybrids (Honda Civic), Series hybrids, and series – parallel hybrids (Toyota Prius).
In series hybrids, the engine runs a generator, which provides power to charge the battery pack and the motor to drive the vehicle. Parallel hybrid allows propelling the vehicle by the IC engine or electric motor individually or together. In electric driving, the clutch between the engine and transmission is open while driving with IC engine, the motor and engine run synchronize.
While there is almost nothing to highlight as disadvantages except the high cost of manufacture and the loss of power during double conversion, there are many advantages of hybrid cars to normal cars.
The most interesting advantages of Hybrid cars compared to Normal car:
1. Size of the engine is smaller to the same capacity of a normal car
2. Recapture of energy through regenerative breaking especially, with “stop and go” driving in city traffic and coursing the hills.
3. The use of planetary gears and sun and ring gear systems allow the use of two power trains in any combination allowing the driver to sudden power boost, and mild operation in normal driving.
4. Use of reversible AC system based on thermal management of the battery bank with that of the cabin through a separate heat exchanger which is thermally connected to the battery case.
5. Can shut the engine off when stop and start with full load just releasing the break pedal
6. Improved operation with less vibration, less noise and less emission of smoke.
Not only the use of two power trains that allow the hybrid to have above advantages over the normal car, but the energy management system together with high efficient electric motors and the battery packs. There are other sources of power, which can be used for hybrid cars like energy cell and super capacitors (used in other hybrid vehicles).
- Difference Between Poisson Distribution and Normal Distribution
- Difference Between Normal Edition and Special Edition Twilight Books
- Difference Between Radio Edition and Normal Edition in Music
- Difference Between Cancer Cells and Normal Cells
- Difference Between Normal Shampoo and Conditioning Shampoo