iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire
Apple iPhone 4 and HTC Desire are two magnificent phones released in 2010. Apple iPhone 4 on performance, processing speed and design,or to say it short in overall aspects was the benchmark for smartphones in 2010 while HTC Desire won many awards, it won the smartphone of the year award in 2010. Apple’s fourth generation baby of iPhone, iPhone 4 may be the most loved smartphone having been sold millions of units, but it is getting tough competition from smartphones made by other companies now, especially those running on Android OS. Though this is nothing to belittle Apple’s iOS 4, Android has its own fan following and Desire, the award winning smartphone from HTC is rubbing shoulders feature by feature with Apple’s iPhone 4 posing a dilemma for those who wish to buy one for them. This article intends to highlight the difference between iPhone 4 and HTC Desire to help people make a better buy.
Apple iPhone 4
It’s difficult to say if there has ever been a smartphone that has caught the imagination of the people as much as iPhone 4. It is not just a phone; it is an idea that has caught on like a fever. The cult status of iPhone 4 among smartphones is a tribute to Apple’s marketing strategy and the image that it has developed for itself in the minds of the people.
iPhone 4 has a large LED backlit LCD display – Retina measuring 3.5” that is not huge but comfortable enough to read everything because it is extremely bright with a resolution of 960X640 pixels. The touchscreen is highly sensitive and scratch resistant. With a RAM of 512 MB and internal storage capacities of 16 and 32 GB depending upon the model you buy, this smartphone has a dual camera, with the rear one being 5MP 5X digital zoom with LED flash. The front camera can be used for video chatting and video calling. The phone works very smoothly with a super fast processor that is 1GHz Apple A4. The operating system is iOS 4.2 that is considered to be the best in the business. Web browsing on Safari is a pleasant experience and the user has the liberty to download thousands of apps from Apple’s app store. Emailing is fun with this smartphone as there is a full QWERTY virtual keyboard for fast typing. iPhone 4 is Facebook compatible to stay connected with friends with a single touch.
Not for nothing is HTC Desire received the smartphone of the year award in 2010. It has a solid design and is loaded with features that are giving iPhone 4 a run for its money. Desire is almost same in dimensions as iPhone 4 and also weighs almost same at 135 g compared to iPhone 4 at 137 g. While the screen size is 3.7 inches and the screen is AMOLED, it does not match the super brightness of iPhone 4. It has a super fast 1GHz processor with 576 MB RAM that works as an advantage to support the now legendary user interface developed by HTC and called HTC sense. This smartphone has a dual camera with the rear camera at 5 MP with LED flash and the front camera for video calling. But unlike iPhone 4 which can capture videos in HD at 720p, the camera of HTC Desire can capture video in 800X480 pixels (480p) only. Internal storage capacity of Desire is 512 MB and the user can opt for micro SD cards to increase the capacity up to 32 GB.
HTC Desire makes use of the amazing UI called HTC sense on top of Android which gives users a very smooth and pleasing experience.
|Apple iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire
• Overall – Both iPhone 4 and HTC Desire are great smartphones of 2010 and close competitors.
• Processor Speed – Both have similar processors (1GHz) and similar RAM (512 in iPhone 4 and 576 in Desire)
• Camera – Both are dual camera but iPhone camera allows user to capture HD videos at 720p whereas its 480p in HTC Desire. Front facing camera for video call is not available in HTC Desire
• Operating System – iPhone 4 makes use of iOS 4.2, while OS in Desire is Android 2.1 Eclair (upgradable to Android 2.2 Froyo) (Read the difference between iOS and Android)
• Display Size – Display is of same size, with Desire slightly bigger at 3.7” compared to iPhone 4 at 3.5”
• Display Type – iPhone 4 has Retina display with a better resolution at 960X640 and better viewing angle, while Desire has a resolution of 800X480. iPhone 4’s Retina display is a benchmark for all smartphones till now.
• App Store – Both allow user the ability to download thousands of apps, iPhone 4 from Apple’s App store, while HTC Desire from Android Market. Apps Store has over 200,000 applications and Android Market is fast catching up with Apple App store.
• UI – Desire makes use of amazing UI called HTC sense that gives users a very pleasing experience. Apple has its own UI which is very professional.
• FM Radio – While iPhone 4 does not have a FM, Desire boasts of FM
• Storage – iPhone 4 has two variations for internal memory 16 GB or 32 GB, but no support for memory expansion. HTC Desire has 512 MB in-board memory but support expansion up to 32 GB with microSD card.
• File Transfer – HTC Desire support FTP/OPP for file transfer over Bluetooth, iPhone 4 does not support push file transfer via Bluetooth
• Tethering – Tethering via USB is free in HTC Desire, though it is available in iPhone 4, there are restrictions on tethering enforced by some service providers
• Third Party Applications – Apple has restriction on third party application downloads in iPhone 4, HTC Desire is open for third party applications.
|Comparison of Specifications
iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire
|Design||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Form Factor||Candy bar||Candy bar|
|Keyboard||Virtual Full QWERTY||Virtual keyboard|
|Dimension||115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm||123 x 68 x11.8 mm|
|Weight||137 g||135 grams|
|Body Color||White, Black||Black|
|Display||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Size||3.5 inches||3.7 inches|
|Resolution||960 x 640||480 x 800 WVGA|
|Features||16M color, Oleophobic coated, scratch resistance|
|Sensors||Three axis gyro, Accelerometor, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor|
|Operating System||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Platform||Apple iOS 4.2.1 (upgradeable to iOS 5)||Android 2.1 Éclair (upgradable to Android 2.2 Froyo)|
|Processor||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Model||Apple A4||Qualcomm 8255 Snapdragon|
|Memory||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|RAM||512 MB||576 MB|
|Included||16 GB/32 GB||512 MB ROM|
|Expansion||No card Slot||Up to 32 GB with microSD card|
|Camera||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Resolution||5.0 mega pixels||5 Megapixel|
|Focus, Zoom||Auto, Digital, tap focus||Auto Focus|
|Video Capture||720p HD||480p, 3gp|
|Features||Double microphones, Geo tagging, Image stabilization||Face detection, Geotagging|
|Secondary camera||0.3 VGA|
|Entertainment||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Audio||AAC, Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV||Supported file formats: ACC, AMR, OGG, M4A, MID, MP3, WAV, WMA Recording:AMR|
|Video||H.264, MPEG-4, M-JPEG||Supported file formats3GP, 3G2, MP4, WMV, Recording: 3gp|
|FM Radio||No but Tunein Internet Radio App|
|Battery||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Type Capacity||Li-ion non-removable battery; 1420 mAh||1400 mAh , Rechargeable Lithium-ion|
|Talktime||up to 14 hrs (2G), up to 7 hrs (3G)||390 min (3G), 400 min (2G)|
|Standby||max 500 hrs||460 hrs (3G), 340 hrs (2G)|
|Mail and Messaging||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Gmail, Email||Mail Client, Gmail Native App|
|Messaging||MMS, SMS, IM (GoogleTalk)||Google Talk, Facebook Chat, Beluga, SMS, MMS, Viber, Skype|
|Connectivity||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n. n at 2.4 kHz only||IEEE 802.11 b/g|
|Wi-Fi Hotspot||GSM model with upgrade to iOS 4.3, CDMA model|
|Bluetooth||v2.1+EDR||2.1 + EDR|
|USB||Yes, connect via 30 pin dock adapter||micro-USB|
|Location Service||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Maps||Google Maps||Google Map|
|Lost-Theft Protection||Find my Phone|
|Network Support||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|2G/3G||GSM/UMTS or CDMA||GSM, GPRS, EDGE / HSPA, WCDMA|
|Applications||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Apps||Apple Apps Store, iTunes||Android Market , Amazon App Store|
|Social Networks||Facebook, Twitter, SNS||Facebook Integration, Twitter, Flickr, Friend Stream, HTC Peep for twitter|
|Voice Calling||Skype, Viber|
|Video Calling||Skype, Tango, QiK|
|Featured||AirPrint, AirPlay, Find my iPhone|
|Business Mobility||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|Remote VPN||Yes , CISCO Anyconnect, Juniper JunOS Pulse|
|Corporate Mail||Yes, Active Sync|
|Video Conferencing||Yes with CISCO WebEx|
|Other Features||Join.Me, Goto Meeting|
|Security||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|MobileMe, Password Protected home screen|
|Additional Features||iPhone 4||HTC Desire|
|iBook, iMovie, FaceTime, Multiple language support, Mobile hotspot - no support in GSM model, connects up to 5 devices in CDMA model||Sensors:G-Sensor, Didital Compass, Proximity Sensor, Ambient light sensor Users can register at HTCSense.com and manage phones remotely and protect phones in case of loss FM Radio, Auto ringtone volume when pickup, mute ringtone when flipped facedown, Auto backup of SMS, MMS, Wi-Fi passwords to microSD|