iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II) | Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II) vs Apple iPhone 4S Speed, Performance and Features | Full Specs Compared
Apple finally released iPhone 4S on 4 October 2011, and it will be available from 14 October 2011. The external appearance of 4S seems identical to iPhone 4. The much anticipated iPhone 5 has been delayed for 2012 release. iPhone 4S is the first dual core smartphone from Apple. Though it is not huge as some of the other phones, it is very appealing. Siri is a new feature in iPhone 4S; it is an intelligent assistant that enable user to manage the phone with voice. iPhone 4S will be compatible with wide range of networks. It will be available in US for all major carriers except for T-Mobile. iPhone 4S carry the same price tag as iPhone 4. Samsung Galaxy S II is a GSM phone and support HSPA+21Mbps networks. Samsung Galaxy S2 is the slimmest phone today. Apple’s iPhone 4S will be the real competitor for Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II). Both the dual core phones are sure to create a healthy competition in the dual core smartphones market. Samsung Galaxy S II is a GSM phone and support HSPA+21Mbps networks. Samsung Galaxy S II is available for $200 only.
The much speculated iphone 4S was released on October 4th 2011. The iPhone which has bench marked standards in the smart phone hemisphere has raised the expectations more. Will iPhone 4S deliver to the expectations? Having one look at the device one can understand that the appearance of iPhone 4S remains similar to iPhone 4; the much raved predecessor. The device is available in both black and white. The glass and stainless steel built that most find appealing remains intact.
The newly released iPhone 4S remains 4.5” of height and 2.31” of width the dimensions of iPhone 4S remains similar to its predecessor iPhone 4. The thickness of the device is 0.37” as well regardless of the improvement done to the camera. There for, iPhone 4S remains the same portable slim device everyone love. iPhone 4S weighs 140g. The slight increase of device is maybe due to the many new improvements that we will discuss later. iPhone 4S includes a 3.5” touch screen with 960 x 640 resolution. The screen also includes the usual fingerprint resistant oleophobic coating. The display marketed by Apple as ‘retina display’ has a contrast ratio of 800:1. The device comes with sensors such as an accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate, three-axis gyro sensor, a proximity sensor for auto turn-off and an ambient light sensor.
The processing power is one of the many improved features on iPhone 4S than its predecessor. The iPhone 4S is powered by a Dual core A5 processor. According to Apple, the processing power is increased by 2 X and enables graphics that are 7 times faster and the energy efficient processor will improve battery life as well. While the RAM on the device is still not officially listed the device is available in 3 versions of storage; 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB. Apple has not allowed a micro SD slot to expand the storage. In terms of connectivity iPhone 4S has HSPA+14.4Mbps, UMTS/WCDMA, CDMA, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. At the moment, iPhone 4S is the only smart phone which can switch between two antennas to transmit and receive. Location based services are available through Assisted GPS, digital compass, Wi-Fi and GSM.
iPhone 4S is loaded with iOS 5 and usual applications one can find on an iPhone, such as FaceTime. The newest addition to the uniquely designed applications on iPhone is ‘Siri’; a voice assistant which can understand certain keywords we speak and virtually do everything on the device. ‘Siri’ is capable of scheduling meetings, checking weather, setting timer, sending & reading messages and etc. While voice search and voice command assisted applications were available in the market ‘Siri’ is quite a unique approach and sounds more user-friendly. iPhone 4S comes with iCloud as well, enabling users to manage content across multiple devices. iCloud wirelessly pushes files across multiple devices managed together. Applications for iPhone 4 S will be available on Apple App Store; however it will take some time for the number of applications supporting iOS 5 to increase.
The rear facing camera is another area improved on iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S is equipped with an improved camera with 8 mega pixels. The mega pixel value itself has taken a huge leave from its predecessor. The camera is coupled with LED flash as well. The camera comes with useful features such as autofocus, tap to focus, face detection on still images and geo tagging. The camera is capable of HD video capture at 1080P at about 30 frames per second. In cameras it is important to have a larger aperture since it allows the lens to collect more light. The aperture in the lens of camera in iPhone 4S has been increased allowing more light to come in however, harmful IR rays is filtered away. The enhanced camera is capable of capturing quality images in low light as well as bright light. The front facing camera is a VGA camera and it’s tightly coupled with FaceTime; the video conferencing application on iPhone.
iPhones are generally good on their battery life. Naturally, users will have higher expectations for this latest addition to the family. According to Apple, iPhone 4S will have up to 8 hours of continuous talk time with 3G on while on GSM only it will score a massive 14 hours. The device is rechargeable via USB as well. The standby time on iPhone 4S is up to 200 hours. In conclusion, the battery life is satisfactory on iPhone 4S, but the battery is not removable like its predecessors.
The preorder of iPhone 4S starts from 7 October 2011, and will be available in US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, and Japan from 14 October 2011. Worldwide availability starts from 28 October 2011. iPhone 4S is available for purchase in different variants. One will be able to get their hands on an iPhone 4S device starting from $199 to $399 on contract. The price without contract (unlocked) is Canadian $649/ Pounds 499/ A$799/ Euro 629.
Samsung Galaxy S II (Galaxy S2)
Samsung Galaxy, probably one of the most famous Android smart phones today was officially announced in February 2011. At 0.33 inches thick, Samsung Galaxy S II remains one of the thinnest Android smart phones in the market today. The Samsung Galaxy S II is ergonomically designed for a better grip with 2 curves top and bottom. The device is still made out of plastic, just like its much famed predecessor Samsung Galaxy S.
Samsung Galaxy S II has a 4.3 inch super AMOLED plus screen with 800 x 480 resolution. The super AMOLED screen is a lot better in terms of color saturation and vibrancy. To the delight of many Samsung Galaxy lovers it has been confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S II screen is designed with Gorilla Glass making it heavily durable for rough use. This is one big advantage Samsung Galaxy S II has over its competitors. Super AMOLED plus gives better quality in not only displaying content but also in terms of battery consumption.
Samsung Galaxy S II has a 1.2 GHz dual core processor, but this is not achieved during all phone operations unless critically needed. This probably accounts more for the great power management available in Samsung Galaxy S II. The device can have 16 GB or 32 GB internal storage with 1 GB RAM. Complete with HSPA+21Mbps support Samsung Galaxy S II has USB-on-the go as well as micro- USB ports. Galaxy S II’s variants have better processing power and larger display. They have 4.5″ display and/or 1.5 GHz dual core processor.
Samsung Galaxy S II comes with Android 2.3 installed. But TouchWiz 4.0 is what dominates in the user interface. The contacts application comes with history of the communication between the contacts and user. The home button allows switching between 6 different applications simultaneously. Task manager is also available to enable closing down applications that’s not in use; however closing applications using task manager is not recommended on Android platform as applications not in use will be automatically closed. Tilt- Zoom is another neat feature introduced with TouchWiz 4.0. To Zoom-in an image users can tilt the phone up and to zoom-out the image users can tilt the phone down.
An 8 mega pixel rear facing camera and a 2 mega pixel front facing camera is available with Samsung Galaxy S II. This allows users to capture quality images while there on the move while the front facing camera is ideal for video chat. The camera application available with Samsung Galaxy S II is the default gingerbread camera application. The rear camera comes with auto focus and LED flash.
The browser available with Samsung Galaxy S II is much raved for its performance. The browser speed is good, while page rendering may have issues. Pinch to zoom and page scrolling is also fast and accurate and worthy of complement.
Overall Samsung Galaxy S II is a well designed Android smart phone by Samsung with impressive design and hardware quality. While this may not be the choice for a budget smart phone, one will not regret an investment due to its durability, usability and quality.
A brief comparison of Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4S
· Galaxy S2 is by Samsung, which belongs to the popular Galaxy Android smart phone family. iPhone 4S is the latest released smartphone by Apple.
· Galaxy S2 was officially announced on February 2011, and and released in Mid 2011. iPhone 4S was officially announced on 4 October 2011, and will be released to the market by 14 October October 2011.
· The Galaxy S2 is 4.9” tall and 3.26″ wide. Dimensions of iPhone 4S are 4.5″ height and 2.31″ width.
· In terms of thickness, Galaxy S2 is 0.04” thinner than iPhone 4S; iPhone 4S is 0.37” thick.
· Galaxy S2 weighs 116 g, while iPhone 4S is only 140 g.
· iPhone 4S is smaller, but Galaxy S2 is thinner and even lighter than iPhone 4S.
· Galaxy S2 boasts a 4.3” Super AMOLED plus capacitive touch screen with 480 x 800 pixels resolution. The screen on iPhone 4S is a 3.5” Retina display with a resolution of 640 x 960 pixels.
· Between the two devices Galaxy S2 gives 0.8” extra screen size (diagonally), but iPhone 4S has a higher resolution.
· The displays on both Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4S are made out of Gorilla glass. Gorilla glass not only provides scratch resistance but also a very strong display.
· iPhone 4S has a special application called Siri – a voice assistant that can recognize voice and enable users to manage the phone with voice. A similar applications like Google Voice Actions and Vlingo, are available in Android Market for free download. However Siri is more user friendly and has more language options than other applications.
· Galaxy S2 runs on a Dual-core 1.2GHz Exynos processor. iPhone 4S runs on a 1 GHz Dual-core A5 processor. Mali-400MP GPU is used in Galaxy S2, and PowerVR SGX540 GPU is used in iPhone 4S. (Galaxy S II variants are available with 1.5 GHz processor.)
· Among the devices Galaxy S2 has more processing power.
· Both are complete with 1 GB RAM and Galaxy S2 has 16 GB and 32 GB variants of internal storage. iPhone 4S has three variants:16, 32 and 64 GB. Internal storage capacity can be extended in Galaxy S2 upto 32 GB using a micro SD card.
· USB, HDMI ports are available in Galaxy S2. iPhone 4S has the universal 30 pin port.
· Both have 8 mega pixel rear facing camera, and Galaxy S2 has a 2 MP front facing camera, whereas it is less than 1MP in iPhone 4S. Video recording is also available in the rear cameras of both devices. Both can record up to 1080p (full HD).
· For network connectivity, Galaxy S2 supports HSPA+21Mbps, whereas iPhone 4S supports HSPA+14.4Mbps. Galaxy S II has variants that support HSPA+42Mbps (T-Mobile), LTE.
· Galaxy S2 runs on Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) with TouchWiz 4.0 for UI, and applications can be downloaded from Android market. iPhone 4S runs on iOS 5 and applications can be downloaded from App Store and iTunes.
· Galaxy S2 comes with optional NFC support, which is not available in iPhone 4S.
Apple introducing iPhone 4S
Samsung introducing Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)
- Difference Between iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)
- Difference Between iPhone 4S and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus
- Difference Between iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)
- Difference Between iPhone and Samsung Galaxy
- Difference Between iPhone 4S and T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II for T-Mobile)