iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy Note | Samsung Galaxy Note vs iPhone 4S Speed, Performance and Features | Full specs compared
Apple has finally released iPhone 4S on 4 October 2011, and it will be available from 14 October 2011. The external appearance of 4S seems identical to iPhone 4. The much anticipated iPhone 5 has been delayed for 2012 release. iPhone 4S is the first dual core smartphone from Apple. Though it is not huge as some of the other phones, it is very appealing. Siri is a new feature in iPhone 4S; it is an intelligent assistant that enable user to manage the phone with voice. iPhone 4S will be compatible with wide range of networks. It will be available in US for all major carriers except for T-Mobile. iPhone 4S carry a price tag similar to that of iPhone 4 at release; 16 GB model is priced at $199, and 32GB and 64GB are price $299 and $399 respectively, on contract. Apple has brought down the prices of iPhone 4 now. Samsung was preparing to face the challenge from Apple iPhone with a new Galaxy line up; Samsung Galaxy Note is a standout device out of all. It is the biggest ever smartphone. Samsung Galaxy Note is an Android smart phone that was officially announced on September 2011, and the official release is expected soon. It features a 5.3″ WXGA (1280×800) display, which is HD Super AMOLED, and it is powered by a super fast 1.4GHz dual core application processor. For network connectivity, it has 4G LTE or HSPA+21Mbps. Following is a review on the similarities and differences on the two devices.
Apple iPhone 4S
The much speculated iphone 4S was released on October 4th 2011. The iPhone which has bench-marked standards in the smart phone hemisphere has raised the expectations more. Will iPhone 4 deliver to the expectations? Having one look at the device one can understand that the appearance of iPhone 4S remains similar to iPhone 4; the much raved predecessor. The device is available in both black and white. The glass and stainless steel built that most find appealing remains intact.
The newly released iPhone 4S remains 4.5” of height and 2.31” of width the dimensions of iPhone 4S remains similar to its predecessor iPhone 4. The thickness of the device is 0.37” as well regardless of the improvement done to the camera. There for, iPhone 4S remains the same portable slim device everyone love. iPhone 4S weighs 140g. The slight increase of device is maybe due to the many new improvements that we will discuss later. iPhone 4S includes a 3.5” touch screen with 960 x 640 resolution. The screen also includes the usual fingerprint resistant oleophobic coating. The display marketed by Apple as ‘retina display’ has a contrast ratio of 800:1. The device comes with sensors such as an accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate, three-axis gyro sensor, a proximity sensor for auto turn-off and an ambient light sensor.
The processing power is one of the many improved features on iPhone 4S than its predecessor. The iPhone 4S is powered by a Dual core A5 processor. According to Apple, the processing power is increased by 2 X and enables graphics that are 7 times faster and the energy efficient processor will improve battery life as well. While the RAM on the device is still not officially listed the device is available in 3 versions of storage; 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB. Apple has not allowed a micro SD slot to expand the storage. In terms of connectivity, iPhone 4S has HSPA+14.4Mbps, UMTS/WCDMA, CDMA, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. At the moment, iPhone 4S is the only smart phone which can switch between two antennas to transmit and receive. Location based services are available through Assisted GPS, digital compass, Wi-Fi and GSM.
iPhone 4S is loaded with iOS 5 and usual applications one can find on an iPhone, such as FaceTime. The newest addition to the uniquely designed applications on iPhone is ‘Siri’; a voice assistant which can understand certain keywords we speak and virtually do everything on the device. ‘Siri’ is capable of scheduling meetings, checking weather, setting timer, sending & reading messages and etc. While voice search and voice command assisted applications were available in the market ‘Siri’ is quite a unique approach and sounds more user-friendly. iPhone 4S comes with iCloud as well, enabling users to manage content across multiple devices. iCloud wirelessly pushes files across multiple devices managed together. Applications for iPhone 4 S will be available on Apple App Store; however it will take some time for the number of applications supporting iOS 5 to increase.
The rear facing camera is another area improved on iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S is equipped with an improved camera with 8 mega pixels. The mega pixel value itself has taken a huge leave from its predecessor. The camera is coupled with LED flash as well. The camera comes with useful features such as autofocus, tap to focus, face detection on still images and geo tagging. The camera is capable of HD video capture at 1080P at about 30 frames per second. In cameras it is important to have a larger aperture since it allows the lens to collect more light. The aperture in the lens of camera in iPhone 4S has been increased allowing more light to come in however, harmful IR rays is filtered away. The enhanced camera is capable of capturing quality images in low light as well as bright light. The front facing camera is a VGA camera and it’s tightly coupled with FaceTime; the video conferencing application on iPhone.
iPhones are generally good on their battery life. Naturally, users will have higher expectations for this latest addition to the family. According to Apple, iPhone 4S will have up to 8 hours of continuous talk time with 3G on while on GSM only it will score a massive 14 hours. The device is rechargeable via USB as well. The standby time on iPhone 4S is up to 200 hours. In conclusion, the battery life is satisfactory on iPhone 4S.
The preorder of iPhone 4S starts from 7 October 2011, and will be available in US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, and Japan from 14 October 2011. Worldwide availability starts from 28 October 2011. iPhone 4S is available for purchase in different variants. One will be able to get their hands on an iPhone 4S device starting from $199 to $399 on contract. The price without contract (unlocked) is Canadian $649/ Pounds 499/ A$799/ Euro 629.
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Note is an Android smart phone by Samsung. The device was officially announced on September 2011, and the official release is expected soon. The device reportedly managed to steal the show at the IFA 2011.
The Samsung Galaxy Note stands tall at 5.78”. The device is larger than a normal smart phone and smaller than other 7” and 10” tablets. The device is only 0.38” thick. Samsung Galaxy Note weighs 178 g. One of the most appealing features of the device, maybe well fitting screen size. Samsung Galaxy Note boasts a 5.3” Super HD AMOLED capacitive touch screen with WXGA (800 x 1280 pixels) resolution. The display is made scratch proof and strong by Gorilla glass and supports multi touch. In terms of sensors in the device, accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate, proximity sensor for auto turn-off, barometer sensor, and gyroscope sensor are available. Samsung Galaxy Note stands out from other members of the Samsung Galaxy family with the inclusion of a Stylus. The stylus utilizes the digital S pen technology and provides an accurate hand writing experience on Samsung Galaxy Note.
Samsung Galaxy Note runs on a Dual-core 1.4GHz (ARM Cortex-A9) processor coupled with a Mali-400MP GPU. This configuration enables powerful graphics manipulation. The device is complete with 1 GB RAM and 16 GB internal storage. The storage capacity can be extended up to 32 GB using a micro SD card. A micro SD card worth 2 GB is available with the device. The device supports 4G LTE, HSPA+21Mbps, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. Micro USB support and USB-on-the go support are also available with Samsung Galaxy Note.
In terms of music, Samsung Galaxy Note has stereo FM radio with RDS allowing users to listen to their favorite music stations on the go. A 3.5 mm audio jack is also available. An MP3/MP4 player and a built in speaker are also on board. Users will be able record quality audio and video with good quality sound with the active noise cancellation with dedicated microphone. The device is also complete with a HDMI out.
Samsung Galaxy Note comes with an 8 mega pixel rear facing camera with auto focus and LED flash. Features such as Geo-tagging, touch focus, and face detection are also available to support the superior hardware. A front facing 2 mega pixel camera is also available with this high end smart phone. The rear facing camera is capable of recording video at 1080p. Samsung Galaxy Note comes with outstanding image editing and video editing applications by Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Note runs on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). Applications for Samsung Galaxy Note can be downloaded from Android market. The device has a good collection of custom applications pre loaded in the device. As mentioned before, video editing and photo editing applications will be a hit among users. NFC connectivity and NFC support are available optionally. NFC capability will enable the device to be used as a mode for electronic payments via E wallet applications. The document editor on board will allows serious work using this powerful device. Productivity applications such as organizer is also available. Other useful applications and features include YouTube client, Email, Push Email, Voice commands, predictive text input, Samsung ChatOn and Flash support.
While the available specifications are promising, neither the hardware nor software is finalized as yet.
A brief comparison of Samsung Galaxy Note vs iPhone 4S
· Samsung Galaxy S Note is by Samsung, which belongs to the popular Galaxy Android smart phone family. iPhone 4S is the latest released smartphone by Apple.
· Samsung Galaxy Note was officially announced on September 2011, and the official release is expected soon, iPhone 4S was officially announced on 4 October 2011, and will be released to the market by 14 October 2011.
· The Samsung Galaxy Note is 5.78” tall and 3.26″ wide. The device is larger than a normal smart phone and smaller than a tablet. iPhone 4S dimensions are 4.5″ height and 2.31″ width.
· In terms of thickness, Samsung Galaxy Note is 0.01” thicker than iPhone 4S; iPhone 4S is slimmer with only 0.37” thickness.
· Samsung Galaxy Note weighs 178 g, while iPhone 4S is only 140 g.
· iPhone 4S is smaller, slightly thinner and even lighter than Samsung Galaxy Note.
· Samsung Galaxy Note boasts a 5.3” Super HD AMOLED capacitive touch screen with 800 x 1280 pixels resolution. The screen on iPhone 4S is a 3.5” Retina display with a resolution of 640 x 960 pixels.
· Between the two devices Samsung Galaxy Note gives 1.8” extra screen size, but iPhone 4S has a higher resolution.
· The displays on both Samsung Galaxy Note and iPhone 4S are made out of Gorilla glass. Gorilla glass not only provides scratch resistance but also a very strong display.
· Samsung Galaxy Note comes with a stylus with digital S pen technology, which is not available with iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S has Siri – a voice assistant that can recognize voice and enable users to manage the phone with voice.
· Samsung Galaxy Note runs on a Dual-core 1.4GHz (ARM Cortex-A9) processor. iPhone 4S runs on a 1 GHz Dual-core A5 processor. Mali-400MP GPU is used in Galaxy Note, and PowerVR SGX540 GPU is used in iPhone 4S.
· Among the devices Samsung Galaxy Note has more processing power.
· Both are complete with 1 GB RAM and Galaxy Note has 16 GB internal storage. iPhone 4S has three variants:16, 32 and 64 GB. Internal storage capacity can be extended in Galaxy Note to 32 GB using a micro SD card.
· USB, HDMI ports are available in Galaxy Note. iPhone 4S has the universal 30 pin port.
· Both have 8 mega pixel rear facing camera, and Galaxy Note has a 2 MP front facing camera, whereas it is less than 1MP in iPhone 4S. Video recording is also available in the rear cameras of both devices. Both can record up to 1080p (full HD).
· Galaxy Note runs on Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) with TouchWiz 4.o for UI, and applications can be downloaded from Android market. iPhone 4S runs on iOS 5 and applications can be downloaded from App Store and iTunes.
· Galaxy Note comes with optional NFC support, which is not available in iPhone 4S.
Apple introducing iPhone 4S
Samsung introducing Galaxy Note
- Difference Between iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy Note
- Difference Between Samsung Galaxy Note and iPhone 4
- Difference Between iPhone 4S and T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II for T-Mobile)
- Difference Between Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)
- Difference Between Samsung Galaxy Note and HTC Sensation