Java is an object oriented programming language. In early 1990s, Sun Microsystems developed the Java language. Initially, it was designed to make small programs for the web browser called applets. But later on, Java was used to create applications based on e-commerce.
There are five main features of Java language:
• Provides more flexibility to develop software applications because of object oriented approach.
• Easy to use as it combines the best properties of other programming languages.
• Allows code written in Java to run on different platforms or Java code is independent of platform.
• The code from the remote source can be executed securely.
• Built-in support for computer networks.
Java also supports automated memory management model that allows developers to get rid of the time consuming method called manual memory management. Programmers can easily do this by implementing automatic garbage collection. But according to some people, Java is slow as well as consumes more memory than other programming languages such as C++.