Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 vs .NET Framework 4.0
.NET framework 3.5 and 4.0 are two versions of the Microsoft .NET framework. Microsoft always comes up with various applications and frameworks so that the application development is more advanced and enhanced. Microsoft .NET Framework is a framework which is designed for Windows operating system. It has a large library and supports various programming languages. It also supports interoperability and NET library is available to all programming languages which are supported by .NET. In year 2007, .NET 3.5 was released which had included more features that .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 could not stay in the industry for long time as it has various issues. However, .NET 4.0 was released in April 2010.
.NET 3.5 Framework
Microsoft .NET 3.5 Framework has various technologies which are able to help application developers solve the issues while developing applications. Some technologies were available in .NET 3.0 while some other technologies have been added in .NET 3.5. Some of the new technologies are mentioned as below:
• ASP.NET AJAX– The technology supports creation of web applications with much more advanced features. It is much easier for developers to develop AJAX applications.
• Language- Integrated Query- With the introduction of LINQ; the developers can create and maintain .NET Framework applications that can work well with the data.
• Windows Communication Foundation– In .NET 3.5 Framework, various challenges are addressed via Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) which is service-oriented approach.
.NET 4.0 Framework
.NET 4.0 Framework will work side by side along with older versions of .NET. The applications which run with older versions will continue to run with this version. In this version, there are new features that have been implemented are as follows:
• The CLR (Common Language Runtime) and Base Class Library (BCL) have been improved.
• New Numeric types and memory mapped files have also been introduced.
• Data Access and Modeling Improvements
• Enhancements in ASP.NET
• Improved Windows Presentation Foundation(WPF)
• Various dynamic features such as entity templates, new query filters and validation features.
• Task Parallel Support and Parallel Loop Support
Difference between .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0
› The web installers for .NET 4.0 are below 1MB in size and faster internet connection is required to download the bits.
› In .NET 3.5, there is no direct method for accessing data whereas there is an in-built feature for data access in .NET 4.0.
› Enableviewstage property has two values in .NET 3.5 as “True” and “False” whereas in .NET 4.0, this property has three values as Inherit, Disable and Enable.
› .NET 4.0 is the most improved version of .NET 3.5 and now it is widely used in IT industry by large organizations.
Despite of having differences, these frameworks have helped developers to use technologies for creating web-based applications. In case, you want to have more information about the features of these frameworks, you can get online and download tutorials as they are available for free. It is highly recommended to check the system requirements before installing it on your machine. Microsoft .NET Framework has created revolution in IT industry.