NETCA vs DBCA
In ORACLE, there are configuration assistants for separate tasks. NETCA and DBCA are two of the very important assistants. These assistants are Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs), which can be easily used.
What is NETCA?
NETCA stands for NET Configuration Assistant. This is a JAVA based GUI tool in ORACLE. NETCA is used to configure and test ORACLE NET connections. For a simple ORACLE NET setup in a server, there are two configurations.
• Listener Setup – Listener configuration under NETCA can be used to add a new listener, reconfigure existing listener, delete existing listeners and rename listeners.
• Local NET Service name Setup – Local NET service name configuration under NETCA can be used to add, reconfigure, delete, rename and test the NET service names.
However, in a client machine, there is no listener setup. It only has a local NET service name setup. These settings can be setup by using NETCA. Apart from the above-mentioned, “Naming Methods configuration” and “Directory usage configuration” also can be done using NETCA interface.
This NETCA can be invoked in several ways,
• Command line (cmd > netca)
• Oracle Enterprise Manager (Oracle Net Manager Section)
• Start -> Program files-> OracleHome_1 ->Configuration & Migration Tools -> NET configuration Assistant (For windows)
What is DBCA?
DBCA stands for Database Configuration Assistant. This is also a JAVA based GUI tool which is used to configure database options and create new databases in ORACLE. DBCA can be used for,
- Creating a Database
- Configuring Database Options
- Deleting a Database
- Managing Templates
- Configuring Automatic Storage Management
Creating databases can be done by using the available database templates in DBCA or a custom template. Data Warehouse, General Purpose, and Transaction Processing database templates are available in DBCA.
Configuring Database Options can be used to add new database options, which are not previously configured in the database. Oracle Enterprise manager is an example.
DBCA can be invoked in following ways,
• Command line (cmd > dbca)
• In windows, Start -> Program Files -> OracleHome_1 ->Configuration & Migration Tools -> Database Configuration Assistant
What is the difference between NETCA and DBCA?
• NETCA is used to test and configure Oracle NET connections. But DBCA cannot be used for configuring Oracle NET connections.
• DBCA is used to create database, configure database options, delete database, manage templates and configure ASM. But those things cannot be done using NETCA.
• NETCA can be invoked in Oracle Enterprise manager. But DBCA cannot be invoked in Oracle Enterprise manager.
• Dbca is the command line command to invoke DBCA but netca is the command line command to invoke NETCA.