Premier vs Premiere
English is a peculiar language for students in terms of homophones that are words having the same pronunciations but different meanings. This makes it difficult for the learners to choose the right word of a pair of homophones in a particular context, and such a pair of homophones is premier and premiere with the only difference between the spellings being an additional e. This article takes a closer look at the two words to find out their differences.
Both premier and premiere come from the same French word that means first. However, in French language, there are masculine as well as feminine forms of this adjective. In English, there are no two words depending upon the gender of the person. Still, there are two different words premier and premiere being used in English, to confuse the learners.
Premier can be used both as a noun as well as an adjective. When used as an adjective it always means first among equals or first in importance. Premier, when used as a noun, refers to a person who heads a government such as a prime Minister or a similar rank holder. The head of a state is referred to as a premier in English such as French Premier or the German Premier even though these dignitaries may be labeled as French Prime Minister or German Chancellor in their respective countries. Take a look at the following examples.
• Sachin Tendulkar is a premier batsman in world cricket.
• Margaret Thatcher, the Premier of Britain in the eighties, passed away recently.
When an e is added to premier the word becomes premiere, it can be used as a noun, adjective, or as a verb. When used as a noun, it refers to the first performance or glimpse of a movie or a play. When used as an adjective, it means preceding all others. Take a look at the following examples.
• We went to the premiere of the movie on Sunday.
• The premiere showing is going to be held on June 12th at the auditorium.
• The play is scheduled to premiere on the coming Thursday.
If you are still confused, just remember that premiere should be used when you are talking about the first performance or show of a movie or a play. Use premier when talking about the head of a government. Even for a product or service that is different and important from others, use premier and not premiere. If you want to use premier for your product, service, or establishment, make sure to use the word without an e to reflect their importance.
Premier vs Premiere
• Premier is used in English to reflect the fact of first, important, or the best in class. If a player is a cut above the rest, he is said to be a premier player.
• Premier, when used as a noun, means the head of a government.
• Premiere refers to the first show or performance of a play or a movie.
• Both premier and premiere come from the same French word that means first though in French thee are masculine and feminine terms for the word.