Tights vs Stockings
Tights and stockings are exciting leg wear that are very similar to each other. So much so that many people, especially men tend to use these words interchangeably. However, the two are not the same, and there are differences that will be highlighted in this article.
Stocking is a leg wear worn by women that is characterized by tight fitting and a fabric that is very elastic. It usually covers the legs from toes to the knees and sometimes even thighs. They are mostly transparent and available in many colors though black is the color that is mostly preferred by women. Stockings were meant to keep legs warm. Being elastic in nature, they provided a lot of comfort to the wearer. Today, however, stockings are more a symbol of fashion than being worn for warmth or comfort. Women wear them under their short skirts or mid length skirts for aesthetic reasons. Stockings are held in place with the help of garter belts. Stockings are not a single piece of leg wear like a legging or a trouser but a two piece leg wear as it is worn separately in both the legs.
Tights are coverings for legs for an American while for British, tights signify pantyhose. Thus, if you are in US, you hear the word commonly whereas in UK, tights conjure up images of sexy lingerie that is up to thigh length from feet onwards and are made of elastic material gripping the flesh of the woman who wears this leg wear. Thus, you see the picture of a leg wear worn from the waist downwards when you type tights on Google. When you look up at its definition, you find that pantyhose is another leg wear that is also called tights.
What is the difference between Tights and Stockings?
• Tights are leg wear that are worn from waist downwards whereas stockings are leg wear that are worn from thigh downwards.
• Thus, stockings allow for flesh show whereas all flesh is covered inside tights.
• Stockings are mainly for aesthetic reasons whereas tights are worn for comfort and warmth.
• Stockings are held in place with the help of garter belts whereas there is no such requirement for tights.
• Stockings are knee high whereas tights are longer.
• Stockings are made of thicker material than tights.
• Stockings come in two pieces whereas tights come as a single piece leg wear.
• Stockings are more of a lingerie whereas tights are more of a general leg wear to remain warm and comfortable.