Tylenol vs Perocet
Tylenol and perocet are both acetaminophen containing drug used to relieve pain. Perocet in combination with oxycodone is a narcotic pain reliever whereas tylenol is both pain reliever and reduces fever. Both the drugs has been approved by FDA .Both of them show their analgesic effect due to their combination with paracetamol.
Tylenol 3 is a combination of 3 medicines- acetaminophen an analgesic and fever reducer, codeine narcotic analgesic and caffeine that acts as stimulant. It is used in the treatment of many conditions such as headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers. Tylenol should be taken at a dose recommended by the doctor as lower than that may not have any beneficial effect. A dose larger than recommended may affect the liver. Anyone taking alcohol should inform the same to the doctor before taking the medication.
It is an analgesic used to treat severe to acute narcotic pain. It contains a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodone. It is synthesized from opium derived thebaine and hence has side effect which may impair persons thinking or reactions and hence should be careful while driving and other such tasks. Its overdose can cause liver damage and also increases its risk in people taking alcohol.
Difference between Tylenol and Perocet
1. Tylenol 3 is a combination of acetaminophen 300mg, codeine 30mg and caffeine 15mg whereas perocet is a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodon.
2. Tylenol 3 is used in the treatment of mild to moderate pain associated with fever, headache, menstrual pain, allergies and colds whereas Perocet is used in the treatment of severe and acute pain.
3. Tylenol 3 is available in the same combination whereas perocet is available in 6 combinations of acetaminophen and oxycodon.
4. It is recommended that Tylenol 3 be taken 1 -2 tablets every 4 hours whereas Perocet is recommended for 1 – 2 tablets every 6 hours.
5. Tylenol 3 can be bought over the counter whereas perocet is prescription only drug and cannot be sold over the counter.
6. Perocet is much stronger drug than Tylenol 3. It has severe side effects when compared to Tylenol if it is overdosed as it has one of the narcotic as the component.
7. Tylenol 3 has 25 mgs less of acetaminophen than Perocet.
8. Overdose of both the drugs can affect the liver and its use is controlled in the patients with liver disease.
9. Alcohol consumption is prohibited for the usage of both the drugs as both can increase the risk of liver disease in the patient who consume alcohol.
Both the drugs are proven analgesic. However, their usage depends on the symptoms and severity of the pain. Abuse of both the drugs can cause liver problems and hence alcohol consumption should be avoided.