Wizard vs Warlock
Harry Potter novels and movies have made words like wizard and warlock common and on the lips of people, especially kids. The mesmerizing world of magic unfolds and takes us into realms of acts and tricks that look unbelievable but true. Two important characters in the world of magic happen to be warlocks and wizards that seem to be synonymous to an outsider or someone who has no knowledge about magic. In fact, if one looks up a dictionary, he finds that a warlock has been defined as a wizard or a male witch. This is very confusing for some people. This article attempts to find out the subtle differences between a warlock and a wizard to enable readers to appreciate these differences.
People who develop expertise in performing magic are known by a generic word magician. However, the word magician comprises a whole lot of titles such as wizard, sorcerer, witch, enchantress, warlock, and so on. The magician, as they are seen appearing in books and some old tribal civilizations, can take on the role of a mentor or he can be a villain. This explains why we see some of the wizards as wise old men while some wizards are shown as antihero or villains.
When a wizard performs the role of a wise man, he is seen advising the tribe or the king or the queen on religious and cultural matters. In many stories revolving around the world of magic, a wizard is seen helping the central characters in their mission. The term wizard is kept for a male practitioner of magic as the females are known by other names such as witch, enchantress etc.
Warlock is a title that has come into prominence because of the use of the title for Dumbledore in Harry Potter movies. He has been described as a Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. However, for all those who do not know, the word warlock used for magicians in old books and civilizations is an even older word than a wizard. It has been derived from an old English word waerloga; waerloga is a person who breaks oath. This etymology is responsible for a warlock to be seen or portrayed as a mysterious person capable of performing magic.
In many old communities, no difference was made between a wizard and a warlock though in general a warlock is described as a more cunning and cruel individual than a wizard who is gentler and wiser. Warlocks are seen performing more complex rituals and delve into dark magic that is perhaps responsible for turning them into evil persons.
What is the difference between Wizard and Warlock?
• While both warlock and wizard are practitioners of magic, a wizard is seen more as an old wise man helping characters and guiding tribes while a warlock is seen as a cruel magician who is an evil fellow.
• A warlock performs more complex rituals than a wizard.
• A warlock is a male or a female practitioner of magic who has broken some oath in a community.
• A wizard is always a male magician.
• In some communities and stories, no difference is made between a wizard and a warlock.
• In general, a warlock is shown as more fierce and evil than a wizard.
• A warlock is considered as more skillful and able to perform complex magic.