Agriculture vs Farming
Farming is a part of agriculture. Therefore, both of them have similarities as well as differences. Agriculture comparatively covers a vast subject area than farming. Therefore, discussion of the characteristic features of these two subject areas is important in comparison.
Word agriculture is derived from two Latin words Agri (field) and cultura (cultivation). Agriculture could be divided in to two major groups. They are farming and the husbandry. Majority of the people in the world were engaged in agriculture until the industrial revolution. Drastic development in agriculture occurred during the 20th century due to the green revolution. Not only human being but also ants and termites practice agriculture. Food, raw materials, fiber and fuel are the main produce of agriculture.
Mono-cropping or mono-culture is dominant in agriculture. Therefore, biodiversity is less in agriculture. Also, it weakens the ecological succession. Environmental impacts are not considered in the conventional agriculture, but it is considered in the modern agriculture. Farming techniques are also applied in the agricultural practices.
Agriculture is covering a vast subject area; genetic engineering of crops, plant breeding, production of resistant varieties etc. come under this section. It also includes research and development part of agriculture.
The meaning of farming is derived from Latin noun of firma (fixed agreement or contract). The place where farming is practiced is called to be farm. Farming covers the implementation of agriculture. This could be either small scale, like cultivation only for consumption, or large scale like intensive farming with mechanized environment. There are different types of farming. They are collective farming, factory farming, intensive farming, protected culture farming and organic farming. Farming techniques includes transplanting, pruning, tilling, crop rotation, selective harvesting etc. A large farm is called plantation. Some parts of horticulture, such as vineyards or orchards belong to farming category. Farming is a significant economic sector in some countries. Most of the farms comprise with buildings, which are called farm buildings. These buildings include farm house, silo, and barns.
What is the difference between Agriculture and Farming?
• The meaning of agriculture is field cultivation; farming and husbandry are two major divisions of agriculture.
• Agriculture is covering a vast area including production, research and development, and farming is the process of the implementation of agricultural activities.
• Research part of the agriculture covers genetic engineering, plant breeding, and plant protection.
• Modern agriculture considers the sustainability of farming and the safety measures.
• Mono-cropping or mono-culture is dominant in agriculture, but in farming, it could be either mixed cropping or mono-cropping, depending on the farming system.
• There are different types of farming. They are collective farming, factory farming, intensive farming, protected culture farming, and organic farming.
• Farming techniques and agriculture techniques are used interchangeably.