Breast Cancer vs Fibroadenoma
Female breast is an important organ as they are secreting milk to nurse the babies. Breasts are considered a symbol of female. They are modified sweat glands. They secrete milk after giving birth.
Fibro adenoma is a harmless tumour that usually affects females below 30 years. This tumour may consist of breast tissue or connective tissue. Typically, the tumour may appear and disappear, and highly mobile in the breast tissue. This tumour can be left without any intervention if it is not causing disfigurement or other symptoms.
Breast cancer is a dangerous disease and still it is the number one killer of the female population. Cancer may arise from the breast tissue or ducts of the breast tissue. Women above 35 years should examine their breast themselves, as this is common after 35 years. Any lump felt in the breast should be investigated with Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAC) and ultrasound scan of the breast, or mammogram of the breast. Early stage of cancer will be treated surgically, followed by a chemo therapy. If the cancer is operable, the whole breast will be removed with the associated lymph nodes.
Cancer cells may depend on the hormone oestrogen. So the treatment with drugs will block the oestrogen receptors and block the cell division of cancer cells. If cancer is detected in late stage, the outcome may be poor. So self examination of the breasts is a good screening method and the suspicious lump will be investigated more. Usually the self examination of the breast is advisable just after the menstrual periods (usually on the 6th day).
What is the difference between Breast Cancer and Fibro adenoma?
• Fibro adenoma is a harmless tumour but cancer of the breast is a very serious condition.
• Fibroadenoma occurs at a young age but, cancer usually occurs after 35 years.
• Fibroadenoma is a smooth lump and very mobile, whereas breast cancer is a hard lump and is attached to the adjoining tissue and fixed.
• Fibroadenoma does not spread to other tissues or organs, but breast cancer spreads.
• BRCA gene is involved in cancer of the breast but not in fibro adenoma.