Carpet vs Tiles vs Wood for Flooring
Difference between carpet, tiles, and wood flooring is one of the main things you should know when choosing your flooring options. The other thing that helps to choose one option is the place where you want the flooring. When it comes to the interior of a house, the flooring is an important thing that needs to be attended. Carpet, tiles, and wood have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to flooring. They are all interesting and useful flooring options. This article will discuss some of the features that would help in selection of any of these for the purpose of flooring in someone’s house. Carpet was the very first thing to get popularity in flooring industry, but it had its own problems. The usage of wood and tile in flooring has increased dramatically and there has been the demand for both these things for different types of flooring.
More about Carpet
Carpets were popular at one stage, but then the problems associated to it such as trapping of dirt in the carpet and difficulty in cleaning it, made it a bad choice. Also, causing trouble to people who were already suffering from allergies was not a plus point to carpets. Getting favorite color in the carpets was also difficult as light colors get stained and dirty quite easily which calls for using cleaning products.
More about Tiles
Tiles are a popular choice for flooring. They offer a variety of choice. There are different types of tiles such as ceramic and porcelain tiles that can be installed to different places. Then, they come will glossy finish which is a bit slippery. They also come with matte finish that is not slippery. There are also a wide range of colours and patterns available in tiles.
More about Wood
Hardwood flooring is an excellent flooring option. It lasts for decades. It is strong. However, there are some places of house where you cannot use hardwood flooring as it cannot withstand spills and can suffer from warps on coming in contact with atmospheric conditions. Due to some atmospheric conditions like humidity, it loses its shape and attractiveness. Since hardwood flooring is not suitable for spaces with humidity and moisture, you can use engineered wood flooring.
What is the difference between Carpet and Tiles and Wood for Flooring?
• Choices in carpet selection are limited. Therefore, wood flooring and tiles are a better option over carpet flooring as it can be of your own choice. The color or design of tile or wood floor can be of your own choice.
• Cleaning and maintaining a carpet is a challenge. This is because the light shades of carpet get very easily dirty. Also, dirt has a way of getting caught in the carpet. However, when it comes to tiles and wood, they are easy to clean and maintain.
• Carpets are also allergic to some due to their material. However, tiles and wood are non-allergic.
• Tiles and wooden flooring have got their natural patterns. This makes their use even more interesting in different areas of your home providing contrast and crisp colors to the accessories available in your house. Such a thing cannot be said about carpets as they do not come with such a wide range of varieties.
• Wooden flooring is an expensive choice when compared to tile and carpet which are less expensive.
• Installation of wood flooring takes different times as there are different wood flooring options. Hardwood takes a long time than carpets and tiles. However, engineered wood flooring does not take as much time as hardwood flooring. It can be easily installed as carpets and tiles.
• You may have to cut down hardwood flooring into strips of different sizes instead of a single piece which is made to fit all the area of the room. On the other hand, carpet is laid in a single piece according to the shape of the room and not in different pieces. Tiles are also laid in different pieces, but they still look better than hardwood flooring in pieces.
• Wood flooring and tiles come with a shiny surface when they are new. Newly installed wood flooring and tiles can be a bit hard to walk on. Gradually, they lose their shiny appearance offering more grips for moving on it. But as they lose their shine their appearance becomes a bit dull. The carpet flooring is difficult to manage. However, it does not give problems for moving on it when it is new. Also, carpet flooring does not cause issues when it gets old as it stays in its original color and form provided. But, remember, you have to maintain and clean it with care to enjoy this benefit.
• Effects of weather are negligible in carpet or tiles. However, hardwood flooring has to face certain problems when weather is changing. Humidity causes hardwood to warp making the flooring look a bit dull and out of place. It also loses its elegance with time as it comes in contact with external conditions. However, to such spaces with humidity and moisture, you can use engineered wood flooring without a problem.
Tile, carpet, and hardwood flooring have their own disadvantages and advantages. What makes carpets a better choice is that it offers comfort and durability if maintained properly. However, if you cannot spend time to maintain carpet then you should probably consider about choosing wood flooring or tiles.