Cow Milk vs Soy Milk
The difference between cow milk and soy milk that everyone knows is that cow milk is produced from the animal whereas soy milk is produced from a plant. But, there are other important differences between cow milk and soy milk, which are taken for discussion here. Soy milk is 100% lactose-free whereas cow milk is not lactose-free. Therefore, soy milk is very agreeable to lactose intolerant people. There is another important fact when it comes to cow milk and soy milk. That is, soy milk is the most popular and favourite substitute of cow milk for vegetarians and vegans, who do not consume food made from animals.
What is Cow Milk?
Cow milk, the milk obtained from cow, is a very popular drink all over the world and among all age groups. However, cow milk contains lactose and some people are allergic to this lactose. That is not because something is wrong with milk. This is simply because their bodies do not provide enough of the lactase enzyme. So as a result, it is unpleasant for them to drink something that contains lactose, like cow milk. However, there are medications that can be taken to ease the situation. Because of this lactose intolerant people, there are lactose-free cow milk available in the market. However, researchers have found out that the lactose-free milk cannot be 100% lactose-free for that matter.
Now let us see the nutrients in cow milk. There is a marked difference between cow milk and soy milk in terms of the nutrients such as minerals and vitamins present in them. Cow milk is abundant in calcium. As a result, it is good for growing children. Cow milk, moreover, has the mineral called phosphorous. In fact, it is said that cow milk is endowed with more phosphorous than soy milk. It is a biologically known fact that our teeth need 85% of phosphorous for innate strength. Vitamin B12 is available more in cow milk. Cow milk is a great repository of water soluble vitamins. It is believed that cow milk has vitamin A in it. This is simply done by adding vitamin A to cow milk in the production process.
What is Soy Milk?
Soy milk, though it is known as milk, can be better known as a beverage. We find many people that are allergic to lactose opt to drink lactose-free milk. It is generally felt that soy milk definitely enjoys a great advantage over lactose-free milk.
When it comes to nutritional value, soy milk hardly has any calcium content or B12 in it compared to cow milk. Mineral phosphorous is available in soy milk.Soy milk also has dietary fibers. Also, soy milk has protein, fat, carbohydrates, etc.
There is a tendency among old people to shift their drinking from cow milk to soy milk. Not only the old, even those who are allergic to dairy milk also shift to soy milk. Soy milk is easily digestible than cow milk. This is because of the presence of dietary fiber. As the result, soy milk is easier to digest.
What is the difference between Cow Milk and Soy Milk?
• Cow milk is produced from animal whereas soy milk is derived from plant.
• Soy Milk is 100% lactose free, but even the lactose free cow milk contains some amount of lactose (not 100% free).
• Cow milk is abundant in calcium whereas soy milk hardly has any calcium content in it. As a result, calcium is added to soy milk.
• Cow milk has twice the amount of phosphorous than soy milk.
• Cow milk contains more vitamin B12 than in soy milk.
• Soy milk is easily digestible than cow milk.
• Cow milk is a great repository of water soluble vitamins.
• Cow milk is believed to be good for growing children because of the high calcium content. On the other hand, soy milk is good for lactose intolerant people. At the same time, soy milk is also believed to be better for weight control.
• Soy milk can also cause allergies to people as there are people allergic to soy. Cow milk does not create such allergic reactions. Some studies suggest, however, that cow milk drinking can pave way for diseases such as autism specturm disorderes and cow milk allergy (CMA) though those studies are not fully supported.
Cow Milk vs Soy Milk
Cow milk is made from the milk taken from the cow. Soy milk is made from the soy plant. They both have their benefits and they both have their weaknesses. Cow milk is very good for growing children as it contains a lot of calcium. Soy milk is an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans as they cannot drink cow milk. Because it contains fibers, soy milk is easier to digest. Though cow milk originally does not have Vitamin A and D, they are added during the production process. In the same manner, calcium is added to soy milk. So, as Vitamins A and D are fortified to cow milk and calcium is fortified to soy milk, make sure to check the label of each product when you buy them. That way you can make sure that you are consuming a good product with high nutritional value.