Creatine vs Creatinine
Creatine and creatine are in homeostasis, in our bodies. They are in equilibrium and maintain the healthy status of muscles. Since they are protein derived compounds, the levels of creatinine and creatine are higher in meat. Therefore, these levels are higher in non-vegetarian people than vegetarian people.
What is Creatine?
Creatine is a compound which is naturally present in vertebrates. It is a nitrogenous compound and has a carboxylic group to it, as well. Creatine has the following structure.
When isolated it has a white crystalline appearance. It is odorless, and the molar mass is about 131.13 g mol−1. Creatine is biosynthesized in our bodies from amino acids. The process mainly takes place in the liver and kidneys. Creatine is produced from L-arginine, glycine and L-methionine amino acids.
In humans and animals, the primary source of creatine is meat. So meat, which is rich with the above amino acids, helps our bodies to biosynthesize creatine. After synthesizing, it is transported to muscles via blood and stored there.
Genetic disorders affecting the creatine biosynthetic pathway lead to various neurological diseases. Creatine increases the formation of ATP, thus helps to supply energy to cells in the body. Creatine supplements are given to body builders, athletes, wrestlers and others who wish to gain muscle mass.
What is Creatinine?
Creatinine is a compound with the molecular formula C4H7N3O and its molar mass is 113.12 g mol−1. It is a solid with white crystals. The structure of creatinine is as follows.
Creatinine is naturally present in our bodies. It is a break down product of creatine phosphate in muscles. Depending on the muscle mass, creatinine is daily produced in the body at a constant rate. Produced creatinine is removed from the body by the kidneys. Blood carries creatinine into kidneys and through glomerular filtration and proximal tubular secretion, creatinine is filtered into the urine. Therefore, blood creatinine level and the urine creatinine level are important indications for the kidney functioning.
Blood and urine creatinine levels are used to calculate the creatinine clearance and reflect the glomerular filtration rate. If the kidneys are severely damaged and malfunctioning, creatinine clearance rate will indicate that. Generally the creatinine level of men is higher than that of women, because men have more skeletal muscles than women.
Creatine vs Creatinine
- Creatinine has a cyclic structure whereas creatine structure is linear.
- Creatine is biosynthesized from amino acids. Creatinine is produced from the breakdown of creatine phosphate.
- Creatine is an organic acid whereas creatinine is not.
- Creatine is stored in muscles; thus it increases the muscle mass and production of creatinine reduced the muscle mass.
- Creatine and creatinine are in equilibrium.
- People take creatine as a supplement to gain strength and body cell mass. Creatinine and its clearance are the main measures of kidney function.
- Creatine is essential for the body whereas creatinine is not. Creatinine is an excretory product.