Cricket vs Baseball
Cricket and Baseball are two games that appear similar in many ways but bear a lot of differences between them when it comes to their game play, rules, field, and the like. What they both have in common is that they are both ball games very popular, but in different parts of the world. Both are team games but a cricket team has eleven members while a baseball team has nine members. Cricket pitch is usually rectangular in shape while a baseball pitch is a diamond shape area. They are both exciting games. Cricket is famous worldwide, especially in countries with British influence. Baseball is an adored sport in US and Canada.
What is Cricket?
Cricket is played for two innings each side. An inning is ‘each division of a game during which both sides have a turn at batting.’ By today, there are different types of cricket games such as Test matches that last for days, ODI (One Day International), 20/20. At present, 20/20 is the most popular where each team gets 20 overs to play the match.
Although balls used in cricket and baseball look alike, the cricket ball is heavier than the baseball ball. The ball in cricket must weigh between 5.5 to 5.8 ounces (156 to 164 g). Moreover, bat used in the game of cricket is flat and strong and does not break often. It is true some of the well-made cricket bats last for decades.
Then, the three important types of players in the game of cricket are the batsman, the bowler and the wicket-keeper. When we talk about the positions, the various positions taken by the players in the game of cricket are characterized by various names such as mid-off, mid-on, fine leg, deep fine leg, long leg, mid wicket, silly mid on, silly mid off, deep mid wicket, square leg, point, deep square leg, gully slip, leg slip, cover, extra cover, long on and long off. When it comes to bowling, the bowler has to bounce the ball in front of the batsman in the game of cricket. A run is completed by the batsman in the game of cricket to increase the score of his team. A run is running between the wickets. The two batsmen have to change places by running without getting out.
What is Baseball?
In a baseball game, baseball players play several innings. The three major types of players in the game of baseball are batter, pitcher and the catcher. The various positions taken by the players in the game of baseball are self explanatory. The pitcher should not drop the ball or bounce the ball in front of the batter in the game of baseball. The term run in baseball means ‘achievement’. In a baseball game, to score a point, the batter should first hit the ball. Once he hits it successfully, he should drop the bat and run to the first base without getting out. There are three bases in the diamond shaped baseball pitch. To cover all three bases you have to run around the pitch. However, a batter is not expected to cover all bases once. Getting safely to the first base is enough.
The legal weight for the ball in baseball must weigh between 5 to 5.25 ounces (142 to 149 g). The bat used in the game of baseball is round and it breaks often.
What is the difference between Cricket and Baseball?
• Although balls used in cricket and baseball look alike, the cricket ball is heavier than the base ball.
• Cricket is played for two innings each side whereas baseball players play several innings.
• There are different types of cricket matches as Test, ODI and 20/20, but not in baseball.
• Baseball bat breaks often unlike cricket bat.
• To score in a cricket match you have to hit the ball and run to the end of the cricket pitch while your partner reaches your end. You have to take the bat with you.
• In a baseball game, you have reach bases to score. Also, once you hit a ball successfully you have to drop the bat and run.
- Cricket by FlickreviewR (CC BY 2.0)
- A comparison of a baseball field (Minute Maid Park, Houston) and a cricket field (Melbourne Cricket Ground) at the same scale via Wikicommons (Public Domain)
Leave a Reply