Dachshund vs Miniature Dachshund | Standard Dachshund vs Miniature Dachshund
They are quite popular and the features are much similar in both dachshunds and miniature dachshunds. However, the differences are important to notice between them. Understanding of differences between them would be easy and sensible if there is information on both of them. Additionally, a comparison as in this article would be important for a better understanding about both dachshunds and miniature dachshunds.
Dachshund is a short legged and long bodied stubby dog breed belongs to the hound family. They were developed in Germany as scent animals, especially for chasing purposes. Dachshunds were used to chase and flush out burrowing animals such as badgers and rodents from farmlands. Their small legs and elongated body would have been helpful for them to get inside burrows. However, dachshunds are excellent rabbit hunters as well. They are very muscular to the height, which could be anywhere between 25 and 38 centimetres. Their paws are large and paddle shaped, which is an adaptation for digging. They have a deep chest and a long narrow snout, which helps them to absorb the scents of other animals. There are three varieties of coats known as smooth or shorthaired, longhaired, and wirehaired. In addition, depending on the heights and weights, there are three categories classified as tandard, miniature, and kaninchen. The standard dachshund weight ranges from 6.8 to 13 kilograms. Their fur coat could be either single coloured or with more colours, sometimes there are spots on the coat. However, dachshunds are not long-lived, but the average lifespan is around 12.7 years.
Miniature dachshund is, as described above, a small dachshund has same features as a standard dachshunds. One thing is for sure about miniature dachshunds, which is their size and weight. The maximum weight should not go beyond five kilograms, and the maximum height at withers is only 17 centimetres. Miniature dachshunds also have the three varieties of the coat variations known as smooth or short- haired, longhaired, and wirehaired. Their coat colour could vary as solid red, tan or yellow combined with chocolate, black, and grey. Despite their small size, miniature dachshunds are expensive dogs as well.
What is the difference between Dachshund and Miniature Dachshund?
· Standard dachshund is larger in their body size, while miniature dachshunds are small in size, as the name indicates.
· Standard dachshunds are heavier, compared to miniature dachshunds. In fact, miniatures do not weigh over five kilograms.
· Miniature dachshunds are shorter than standard dachshunds. In fact, a miniature dachshund’s maximum height is 17 centimetres.
· Miniature dachshunds are more prone to vertebral diseases compared to standard dachshunds.
· Miniature dachshunds differentiate from standard dachshunds in the circumference of the chest. This is an important difference between them, as certain kennel clubs measure the chest circumference to categorize them.