Dumbbell vs Barbell
Both barbells and dumbbells are types of weights that people use to improve upon their fitness and to increase their muscle mass and muscle strength. In bodybuilding, both dumbbells and barbells play important roles, and both are used for toning up muscles of different body parts. There are advantages in both dumbbells and barbells and neither can be said to be superior to another. However, there are obvious differences between the two types of weights that will be discussed in this article.
Dumbbell is a type of free weight that can be used to increase the strength of muscles and to build muscle mass in bodybuilding. Usually it is used in pairs with one dumbbell in each hand. The concept of free weights to do weight training and to improve ones strength is very old, and the precursor of modern dumbbells was used in India even a thousand years ago. These weights were used by wrestlers and by people playing other sports requiring strength.
A standard dumbbell has a short handle with two equal weights attached to its ends. There are both fixed weight dumbbells as well as adjustable dumbbells that allow the weights to be increased as per the need.
If you have ever seen a weightlifting competition on television, you know what a barbell is. It is a metal bar with weights attached at its ends. The length of the bar varies between 1.2 meters and 2.4 meters. The central part of the bar has a pattern to provide a good grip to the weightlifters. A barbell has to be lifted up using one’s both hands and has to be balanced by the lifter. Barbells are adjustable to allow for addition of weights on both sides. These weights do not slide off to injure the lifter as they remain secured through collars. The weight of the bar alone is 20 kilograms, which is much more than the average weight of the dumbbells used by people.
What is the difference between Dumbbell and Barbell?
• Barbell and dumbbell are two types of free weights that are used to increase the strength of muscles and muscle mass.
• Dumbbell is smaller and lighter than a barbell.
• A barbell has a long bar that is 2 meters in length and weighs 20 kilograms.
• A barbell has to be lifted using both hands whereas exercise with dumbbell can be done with one in each hand or with a single one in one hand.
• Dumbbells are mostly fixed weights whereas barbells allow more weights to be attached to the bar on both ends.
• Dumbbells allow for more motion and a wider range of exercises than a barbell.
• It is possible to increase the strength of one part of the body using dumbbells.
• Barbells are meant to lift higher weights than dumbbells.