Executive Producer vs Producer
When you enter a theater to watch a movie and the credits are being shown at the start of the movie, you get to know the names of first the executive producer and then the producer of the movie. Traditionally people are aware of the titles of producer and director of a movie in the world of entertainment and do not know about the existence of an executive producer. There are many who think that the roles and responsibilities of the two titles are the same and that the two titles are synonymous. However, despite some overlapping, there are many differences between an executive producer and a producer in the world of entertainment and these differences will be highlighted in this article.
A producer is the title of a person who is supposed to be making films, TV serials and other programs meant for the electronic media. He could be a freelancer, a person hired by a production house or a person having his own studio complete with all the paraphernalia required for completing the projects. A producer typically gets involved with a specific project and takes another assignment only after the completion of the earlier project. He is one person who is involved with the movie right from the time when he has read the script till the time promos of the movie are ready to be shown on TV and internet.
The prefix of executive in the name of executive producer tells the whole story. He is the professional who is responsible to look after the work of the producer who is appointed by him only to produce the movie. Of course, he does it on behalf of the studio owners or the financiers. An executive producer has to ensure that the movie is completed according to some set standards of production within a specified budget. Often a producer who has himself generated much of the financial resources is termed as an executive producer. Most of the time, an executive producer does not get involved with technical aspects of movie making and remains confined to fulfilling his role as a generator of finances.
An executive producer has to be well connected within the entertainment industry having a strong link with the investors. He should have an inkling of the tastes of the audiences as he has the responsibility of getting projects completed that are also marketed well. He has to purchase the rights of the story and then help in the development of the screenplay but hands it over to the producer for the making of the film though he continues to oversee the production.
What is the difference between Executive Producer and Producer?
• An executive producer oversees the activities of the producer of a TV serial or movie but not directly involved with the day to day functioning of a producer.
• An executive producer is an executive more than a producer as he is busy arranging finances and completing other formalities so that a producer carries on with his rile without any hitch.
• Executive producer ascertains the completion of the project according to agreed upon technical standards with actors within the budget that has been given to him whereas the producer looks after the technical aspects of the movie or serial.
• Executive producers have connections in the entertainment industry, especially with investors and they see to it that they pick up projects that are well made and are marketable.
• Hiring and firing are the headaches of the producer as he has to look after the film making.
• Micromanagement is in the hands of the producer while macro management of the project is in the hands of the executive producer.