GRX vs IPX (IP eXchange)
The necessity of IP interconnect increases since mobile radio access also moving towards packet access and fixed operators moving towards full NGN mode operation. The tradition TDM interconnects are expensive and could not offer a cloud interconnect model. The interconnect model does not offer services; however, it is a model to interconnect services providers who offer services to their end-users. So these both interconnect models offer different ways of interconnects.
GRX (GPRS Roaming eXchange)
General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) technology is a mobile packet delivery network in GSM era. GRX network is established in year 2000, to cater GPRS roaming. Only Mobile Network Operators (MNO) are allowed to connect to this network. Later other services like Universal Mobile Telecommunication System Roaming (UMTS), MMS interworking and WLAN data roaming also added in this model.
GRX network was built on best effort method in the transport network. So the quality of service or security is not guaranteed in the transport.
IPX (IP eXchange)
IPX also an interconnect method; however it considered as evolved GRX. Although, the concept is the same as GRX, it has a lot of advantages. Here, not only mobile operators, any operators can connect like Fixed Network Operators, Internet Service Providers (ISP), and Application Service Providers (ASP) etc. This model ensures end to end service levels on Security and Quality of Service. This is an open model to interconnect and all technical interconnect mechanisms are feasible between operators or peering partners. There are four service models or class of services defined in IPX; they are Conversational, Streaming, Interactive, and Background. MPLS backbone plays a major role in this model of connectivity. Here, we get fully managed transport layer (MPLS) with all quality of service guaranteed end to end of every operators or partners core. Each interconnect partners or carriers will follow the same.
What is the difference between GRX and IPX?
(1) GRX is designed for GPRS roaming and only mobile operators can interconnect.
(2) Whereas in IPX, its designed for all IP Interconnects including MNO, FNO
(3) GRX transport is best effort traffic, whereas IPX transport is managed, QoS based, class based, prioritised traffic.
(4) In GRX there no end to end service models for security and QoS whereas in IPX there is end to end service model for security, agreements and Quality of Service.
(5) GRX charging models are based on volume whereas IPX charging models offers service based charging on top of volume based.
(6) GRX supports only GPRS roaming and UMTS Roaming, whereas IPX supports LTE roaming, as well.