Infosys vs TCS
Infosys and TCS are two giants in the IT industry of India. In the last decade or so, information technology services have shown an exponential growth in India because of skilled manpower and also because of the presence of two giants in this sector, namely TCS and Infosys. While TCS is older and part of the TATA conglomerate, Infosys is relatively new, having started in 1981 in Bangalore, Karnataka by K.R. Narayanamurthy. TATA consultancy Services, on the other hand started in 1968. But both are remarkable in their growth and achievements. Below is an unbiased comparison and differentiation of the two companies.
Listed in BSE and NSE and having its headquarters in Mumbai, India, TCS is the largest IT and BPO services provider in Asia. It belongs to TATA Sons Limited which has many other interests such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, steel, chemicals, healthcare, minerals and automobiles. Started in 1968, TCS today has offices in 42 countries with more than 186000 employees. Its operating income stood at $1.81bn in 2010 while profits were $1.22bn.
Though Infosys made a late entry into IT services in 1981, it made giant strides and went public as early as 1993, whereas TCS was listed as a public company as late as 2004. The headquarters of the company are in the Silicon Valley of India, which is Bangalore, Karnataka. Infosys is considered to be one of the best employers in India and today has business centers in 33 countries of the world. It is an actively hiring company with strength of 122000 people. Its operating income stood at $1.62bn in 2010 with profits standing at $1.26bn.
Ostensibly there looks to be no difference between the two giant IT services companies but they are apart in terms of work culture, manpower and hiring policies.
|Difference between Infosys and TCS
• While both TCS and Infosys look to hire fresh graduates from reputed engineering colleges across the country, Infosys has been giving employment more aggressively of late as it is in an expansion mode.
• While TCS is more into BPO mould, Infosys is known for its efficient consultancy services.
• Infosys is more belligerent in acquiring big deals from foreign clients while TCS has more IT related work from the government sector such as providing software to banks and health care industries.
• TCS and Infosys have their own products and specialized services such as TCS Quartz and Infy Finacle.
• While both are efficient and known for timely supplies, TCS is cheaper than Infosys in providing IT related solutions to customers. However, Infosys guarantees better quality than TCS.
• There is a lot of work pressure for employees in Infosys while they are more relaxed in TCS. You will never hear ‘No’ from a manger at Infosys, whereas TCS managers decline work and work at their own pace.
• While there is a well developed promotion process at Infosys, TCS lacks in this department.
• Infosys is rigid about its employees paying taxes, while TCS takes side of the employees.
• In terms of infrastructure, Infosys is world class while TCS lags far behind.
• In work culture also, Infosys scores over TCS with Infosys being more professional.