Kilt vs Skirt
Difference between kilt and skirt is difficult to discern until you understand what each garment looks like and their uses. The kilt and skirt are both garments for the lower part of the body. Generally, they are hung from the waist and flow down to cover a portion of the legs. They usually extend until around the knees. They are comfortable to wear since they do not wrap around each leg. One can also say that skirt is the umbrella term under which kilt appears as kilt is also a kind of a skirt. The main difference lies in the wearer of the garment.
What is a Kilt?
The kilt is a type of skirt that is worn by men. It is customary clothing for the Scottish culture. Its use dates back as far as the 16th century, and is still seen today. It is wrapped around the waist and is knee-length. Its material is made of wool, and often has a plaid or tartan pattern, though it may also come in different colors. The different colored tartan was used to signify the clan the men, who wore the kilts, belonged to.
What is a Skirt?
The skirt is a more general term of the clothing that covers the upper legs. Most often, it is the women who wear skirts. Mini-skirts are those that are several inches above the knees, while some skirts may reach the ankles. Usually, they are just until around the knees. It can be made of a variety of different cloths, such as denim and leather. The material as well as the length depends on the personal taste as well as the culture in which these women live. For example, in Western countries wearing mini-skirts can be not a problem. However, in certain Eastern countries wearing mini-skirts will be looked down.
What is the difference between Kilt and Skirt?
• The kilt is a type of skirt that is worn by men, usually of Scottish origin.
• The skirt is a general type of clothing that covers the upper legs.
• There is really not much of a difference between the kilt and the skirt in terms of appearance. But, remember, the kilt is strictly knee-length; the skirt may be as high as several inches above the knee to just along the ankles.
• When it comes to material and pattern, skirt can be of any pattern or any material. That is decided by the person, who wears it and her culture. However, it does not have a specific pattern or a material. Nevertheless, a kilt has a specific pattern and a material. It is woven using woven wool. Often kilts come with tartan patterns.
• However, kilt is the term reserved for those worn by men most especially of Scottish origin and Celtic roots. It can be worn in social gatherings, performances, or just on normal days. On the other hand, the skirt is normally attributed to women’s clothing and it can also be worn at any moment.
• While the kilt may look just like a skirt, it is just as appropriate in any circumstance for any man to be seen wearing a kilt. However, this idea of men wearing a skirt like garment can be alien to some cultures.
- Kilt via Wikicommons (Public Domain)
- Skirt by JJ Harrison (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Leave a Reply