Loafers vs Moccasins
There are many different types of shoes for men and women. While the ones worn in offices and on formal occasions are mostly made of leather and have laces to tie them up, there is a huge variety of shoes under the category of slip on shoes. Two such slip on shoes are moccasins and loafers that are very similar in structure. However, despite overwhelming similarities, there are differences between moccasins and loafers that will be talked about in this article.
Loafers are a very popular variety of shoes for both men and women that do not have laces and can be worn by just slipping one’s legs inside them. The credit for loafers goes to Norwegian farmers whose pictures wearing these easy shoes while working in farms caught the fancy of the Americans. This was around 1930 though there are experts who say that similar style shoes were worn by Americans even earlier. While loafers were initially designed for men only, they were worn by both men and women in the 50’s with pictures of women sporting them wearing poodle skirts dominating the fashion magazines. Loafers are worn with or without socks and many people have started to wear these easy slip on shoes in offices and workplaces.
Moccasin is a type of slip on shoe without laces made of leather. It is a shoe that is made in one piece with sole and sides that are stitched at the top. This type of shoe is especially popular among Native American tribes where these shoes are often decorated with beads and shells. In countries with hot weather and terrain that is hard, moccasins with hard sole are very popular as they prevent any injury from cacti and other hard rocks.
What is the difference between Loafers and Moccasins?
• Loafers and Moccasins are two types of slip on shoes that are very popular around the world with some companies like Gucci calling their loafers as moccasins confusing people.
• Loafers appeared in America in the 30’s when Americans saw the pictures of Norwegian farmers wearing these easy and comfortable shoes.
• Moccasins are made with soft leather and have the bottom and sides stitched together at the top
• Moccasins were popularized by Native American tribes that wore these shoes embellished with beads and shells.
• Moccasin is made from one piece of leather, whereas loafer is made using different leather pieces.
• Native Americans wear Moccasins made of buffalo skin, deer skin, and even elf skin.