Medical Science vs Medicine
Medical science and medicine are fields inside life sciences that are very similar to each other as both are lifesaving sciences. Both are also applied sciences as they make use of a body of knowledge that aids in making diagnosis and treatment of ailments. These sciences also help in prevention of ailments with their body of knowledge. However, medical science and medicine are not the same, and there are subtle differences that will be highlighted in this article.
Medicine comes from Latin Medicina that means the art of healing. Medicine is a word that is also used for the medication prescribed by a doctor to his patient. This drug is used for the treatment of a disease or ailment that the patient is suffering from. However, medicine is a branch of life science that serves to diagnose, treat and prevent ailments or diseases. As it is a science that deals with healing, it encompasses many different practices, though people take it for modern allopath, which is the most prevalent form of diagnosis and treatment in the western world.
The most basic undergraduate degree that is offered in the field of medicine is MBBS that is recognized in all parts of the world. In many countries, there is a degree by the name of Doctor of Medicine, abbreviated as MD. This degree is a post graduate level degree and reflects the specialization of the doctor past the level of MBBS.
Medical science is a course offered by some colleges and universities that aim to help students who are interested in pursuing careers in health and medicine. It is a generic and umbrella term that includes many different sciences such as biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, physiology, nutrition, toxicology, neuroscience, etc. that are all a part of life saving sciences. This is a course that is offered at the undergraduate level, and its duration is 3 years.
What is the difference between Medical Science and Medicine?
• Medicine is an applied science as it makes use of a body of knowledge.
• Medicine refers to the practice of diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases.
• Medical science is a bachelor level degree that is offered by some universities and aims to help students make careers in health and medicine.
• While MBBS is the primary degree in the field of medicine that has a duration of 5-6 years, Bachelor of Medical Science is an undergraduate level degree with duration of three years.
• MBBS is usually offered by medical schools and some universities, whereas bachelor’s degree in medical science is offered by only a few colleges and universities.
• Medicine is also a medication or a drug that is prescribed by a doctor to his patient for treatment of disease or illness.