Miss World vs Miss Universe
Between Miss World and Miss Universe, there is not much difference other than the organizers of the events. They are two popular beauty pageants organized by two different people. There are many beauty pageants held in various parts of the world all over the year. It is common to have a desire to choose the one most beautiful girl from a population, and this prompts most countries to select their own miss X and so on. So USA has its own Miss USA and UK, Canada and Australia have their own Miss Title holders every year. Two of the most prominent beauty pageants held at a world level are Miss World and Miss Universe organized by different organizations. As far as public perception is concerned, Miss Universe is considered to be at a level higher than Miss World though there is nothing to justify this perception. They are just two beauty pageants run by different organizations solely for business purposes.
What is Miss Universe?
Miss Universe contest is organized by Miss Universe organization, which is a joint venture between business tycoon Donald Trump and NBC. Previously, it was telecast by CBS, which was in a partnership with Donald Trump. Miss Universe contest was held in 1952 for the first time, and since then, there has been a gradual build up in the interest of people around the world. There is a great anticipation and buzz around the beauties selected from around the world and people wait anxiously to find out who the lucky girl is who holds the title of most beautiful girl in the entire Universe (though it is a misnomer as only girls from Earth take part in the contest!). The chosen Miss Universe stays in the New York City, USA during her one year period of victory. The logo of Miss Universe is a woman with stars. This logo symbolizes the beauty and responsibility of women all around the universe. The current Miss Universe is Paulina Vega of Colombia. She was crowned on the January 25, 2015 in Doral, USA.
What is Miss World?
Miss World, on the other hand, is another important beauty pageant that began in 1951 in UK. The contest is held every year and is organized by Miss World Organization. It is organized along the pattern of Miss Universe where every country of the world sends its chosen representative where after some grueling rounds of competition, the final winner is chosen and declared Miss World who reigns supreme for a period of one year. The current president of the Miss World Organization is Julia Morley. Current Miss World is Rolene Strauss of South Africa. She was crowned on the December 14, 2014. That was in London, United Kingdom. During her period of reign, the Miss World traditionally lives in London.
Now many would wonder as to what the criterion is for being chosen as a representative of her country to these prestigious beauty pageants. The process begins with national beauty pageants where the winner is sent to take part in the Miss Universe pageant, and the runner up is sent to take part in the Miss World competition.
What is the difference between Miss World and Miss Universe?
• Miss Universe and Miss World are two different and most important beauty pageants held every year.
• The only difference between these competitions is the fact that they are organized by two different organizations and the contests today are purely commercial in nature with a lot of interest generated through advertisements.
• They go through same selection procedures which are a combination of judges and votes. They have their own different rounds of selection. But the procedure is the same.
• Every country sends its participants to these pageants who are selected on the basis of the results of the national beauty pageants. The winner of national beauty pageant goes to Miss Universe whereas runner up goes to take part in Miss World pageant
• Though there is no ranking officially, Miss Universe is considered to be superior to Miss World.
• During her reign, Miss Universe lives in the New York City and Miss World lives in the city of London.
• The country that has won the highest number of Miss World titles is Venezuela. That is 6 times. The country that has won the highest number of Miss Universe titles is United States. That is 8 times.
- Miss Universe 2014 Paulina Vega by Pptimesinfinity (CC BY-SA 3.0)
- Miss World 2010 Alexandria Mills via Wikicommons (Public Domain)