Music vs Noise
This seems like a very simple question as people are ready to tell the difference between good and bad music, leave alone telling difference between music and noise. If you analyze answers coming from both who know something about music and those who know nothing but still love to hear good music, you will find that that good music always sounds good, while bad music is rarely music to ears. There are people who would find some rhythm is the barking of a dog or the hammer falling upon rock frequently, but to a large majority of people, music is what is soothing and relaxing while noise is a sound that is harsh, has no pattern of sounds, and is in general annoying or irritating. However, there are so many answers that it becomes confusing to pinpoint the exact difference between music and noise. This article attempts to find out these differences.
To a student of science, there are many similarities between music and noise which are imperceptible to a layman. Noise can be disturbing and a nuisance for all while music has been shown to have positive and beneficial effects on human beings. However, feelings of human beings towards music may be an effect of our learned reaction or perception as has been shown in case of individuals who heard music for the first time in their lives. Someone who hears music for the first time does not have a learned reaction or any perception about music. Scientists are trying to find out reactions of other primates to music though it is clear from previous experiments that cows have been shown to produce more milk and plants to grow more when they are made to hear classical music than when they are surrounded by noise.
Difference Between Music and Noise
• Music has pleasing effect on ears and mind, whereas noise appears to be irritating and a nuisance
• Music has high frequency and there are recognizable patterns of changes in wavelength and amplitude. On the other hand, noise has low frequency, has irregular wavelengths and produces sudden changes in amplitude and wavelength.
• Music has a combination of frequencies and their harmonics, while noise has no such properties.
• Music is harmony, whereas noise is chaos
• Noise is wild and untamed, whereas music is soothing and appealing to listen to.
• Music is a special category of noise. To some, it is organized noise. On the other hand, noise is nothing but random sounds with no order or rhythm.