Naked DSL (ADSL2+) vs ADSL2+
Naked DSL or ADSL2+ and ADSL2+ are broadband access technologies that are used to deliver high speed internet access. Naked ADSL2+ will not come with a PSTN whereas ADSL2+ comes with a PSTN line. So in ADSL2+ you need to pay for additional line rental on top of the internet access payment whereas in Naked ADSL2+ you don’t need to pay line rental. There are some advantages and disadvantages on both. You can select either ADSL2+ or Naked ADSL2+ depending on your requirements.
ADSL2+ is the next generation ADSL technology to offer high bandwidth using the same copper lines.ADSL2+ can offer up to 24 Mbps but which depends on many parameters. ADSL2+ was introduced in 2003 and it’s an ITU standard g992.5.
ADSL2+ uses twice the frequency band of ADSL2 (2.2MHz) thus download data rates is possible around 24 Mbps. ADSL2+ upload speed remains as 1Mbps.
In short, ADSL2+ is better than ADSL2 or ADSL in access speed but which doesn’t mean you can browse internet faster in ADSL2+ than ADSL2 or ADSL. There are many other parameters (more details here) which influence the speed or throughput.
Naked DSL or Naked ADSL2+
Naked ADSL also comes from same family of ADSL but the main difference is, it does not come with a PSTN telephone line. That does not mean it won’t come in copper line, it comes via your copper pair only. It also offers same as ADSL2+ speeds, 24Mbps uplink and 1Mbps downlink.
In ADSL2+, you need splitter at your end (user end) to separate telephone line and data before connecting to ADSL2+ router and phone. Splitter is not necessary in Naked ADSL2+
Naked ADSL2+ provisioned with all IP digital modes in ADSL2+ Annex I or Annex J (for POTS and PSTN) can offer additional 256 kbps on uplink since we don’t use the low bandwidth for PSTN voice.
Naked ADSL2+ is generally bundled with VoIP services and you may get a local phone number assigned to you via Voice over IP services. Which is referred as Local DID. (Direct Inward Dial) On top of ADSL2+ router you may get a VoIP device or ADSL2+ router it self comes with VoIP built-in functionality where you will get RJ11 (normal) phone output. You can plug your normal home phone into that port and get the dial tone.
The whole phone system work via Voice over IP protocol and these days there are very cheap packages available in the market. Either you can get the service from your Naked ADSL2+ provider or you can buy number from anyone else and configure. There are plans for 10 dollars to make unlimited minutes to anywhere in the world (Except certain countries and mobiles).
Difference Between ADSL2+ and Naked ADSL2+
(1) ADSL2+ comes with a Telephone line and Naked ADSL2+ will not come with a POTS telephone line.
(2) So you don’t need to Pay line rental for Naked ADSL2+ whereas you need to pay line rental for ADSL2+
(3) ADSL2+ is bound with POTS or PSTN telephone line and Naked ADSL2+ may be bound with VoIP phone line which may have very good calling plans to make calls anywhere in the world for lower rates including your local city and country.
(4) Generally you can’t use your Naked ADSL2+ phone line to Fax, EFPOS, Credit Card access devices towards banks, 56 K modem, back to base alarm systems and any other PSTN based services.
(5) If your Naked ADSL2+ VoIP device comes separately, you can carry that when you travel and plug into an internet connection then you start receiving your local calls in any part of the world which you can’t do it with your normal PSTN phone.
(6) In ADSL2+ you can subscribe to ADSL services from one provider and Telephone Service from another provider, as a result even if phone line is not working your internet may work and vice versa whereas in Naked ADSL2+ if internet is not working phone line will also not work.
Comparatively Naked ADSL2+ have better data plans and VoIP plans but still people have the mentality to have one PSTN traditional telephone. There for they go with ADSL2+ rather than Naked ADSL2+. It will take time for people to change their mentality towards IP services until it hits the comparative price. Number portability is less possible with Naked ADSL2+ phone numbers (DID). When you go for Naked ADSL2+ less likely you can bring your existing phone number to Naked ADSL2+ phone.