Newspaper vs Magazine
Newspapers and magazines are two important forms of print media that are read by millions of people around the world, to get information and entertainment. People are so used to newspapers and magazines that they hardly pay any attention to differences between them. This article tries to differentiate between these two types of print media on the basis of their features.
Though the spread of the internet and electronic media like TV and cable has put some breaks on the circulation and numbers of newspapers, they still remain the primary source of authentic, reliable and fresh content about what is happening around the world and locally. The advent of the printing press gave wings to the spread of newspapers and in every part of the world there are national newspapers as well as newspapers in local dialects. Most of the newspapers are daily in nature, but some happen to be weekly and even biweekly. Newspapers traditionally use inferior quality of paper and poor quality ink as the emphasis is on keeping the prices down. As newspapers are distributed early in the morning, people wait for them to get all the information about their city, nation, and international news along with their morning cup of tea or coffee.
Magazines are another form of print media, and they are produced on paper with ink. They are not published daily and are rather published weekly or monthly. These magazines are not sources of fresh content to the extent of publishing breaking news but contain content that is recent in nature. Magazines belong to various fields such as entertainment, science, share markets, sports, movies, and so on. They are expensive as they are published on costly paper that may be glossy and also contain color photos of high resolution.
What is the difference between Newspaper and Magazine ?
• Magazine is smaller in size to newspaper.
• Magazine is more expensive than newspaper.
• Newspaper contains fresher content than magazine.
• Newspaper has more variety of content than magazine that pertains to its chosen field only such as cars, movies, sports, and so on.
• People subscribe for magazines though they are also available on news stands.
• Newspapers are delivered by hawkers though many purchase them at crossings and newsstands.
• Readership of a newspaper is invariably higher than that of a magazine though there are exceptions.
• Newspapers never fall short of content as there is always something happening in different parts of the world, whereas magazine content is always based upon the liking of the readers.
• A magazine is like a book while a newspaper is much larger in size though there is lesser number of pages than in a magazine.
• As far as appearance is concerned, magazines look far more attractive than newspapers.
• Newspapers are more versatile in content than magazines, and they have various sections to suit the interests of people of diverse backgrounds.