Norton Antivirus 2011 vs Norton Internet Security 2011
What are antivirus and Internet Security? Which one to Choose? Both antivirus and internet security basically have the same purpose; securing your online activity and digital life. The difference between the two lies on the features that are offered. Antivirus has the most basic features while the latter has more to offer.
But when you think about security there should not be any compromise in features. Even though Internet security is little higher in price than antivirus it’s always good to go with internet security for many reasons. It’s always suggested to put auto update of any antivirus or security software you are using and allow schedule scan in periodic manner.
Norton: It’s a product from the company called Symantec, which was founded in 1982. Symantec provides Security, Storage and Systems Management solution.
Norton antivirus 2011 and Norton Internet Security 2011 are products of Symantec.
Norton Antivirus basically protects against viruses, spyware and other threats and allows you to chat, email and share files without worry.
Features of Norton Antivirus 2011
(1) Protects against viruses, spyware and other threats.(check for updates every 5-15 min and protects you)
(2) SONAR 3 behavioural protections monitor suspicious behaviour of your system. (PC)
(3) Norton Recovery Tool creates an emergency CD/DVD/USB to start up if PC gets infected
(4) Worm Protection
(5) Norton Rootkit removes deeply buried crimeware. Crimeware could be unknown software placed in your computer by any means to take control of your PC or get information from your PC.
(6) Monitors your system (PC) performance and alerts you if any slowdowns.
(7) Norton smart scheduler runs scans and update when PC is not in use.
(8) Norton Antivirus will check all the file downloads and warns if any dangerous files get downloaded.
(9) Norton gives detail information of downloaded files if necessary.
(10) Norton Monitors Email and IM (Instant Messaging) against suspicious attachments, downloads and hyperlinks.
(11) Norton Antivirus protects cybercriminals from using security holes in applications to sneak viruses or spywhere on your System.
On top of the features mentioned above Norton Internet Security 2011 provides Antispam, Antiphishing, Identity Protection, Norton Safeweb, Parental Control and Smart Firewall.
Additional feature of Norton Internet Security 2011
(1) Norton Internet Security Guards against online identity theft, so user can shop, bank and visit social networks with confidence.
(2) Smart two-way firewall prevents hackers from accessing your System (PC) and stealing personal information.
(3) Network mapping and monitoring software shows the devices connected to your home network so that you can easily find out uninvited guests. (Specially if you have wireless networking at home)
(4) Norton Safe Web warns if unsafe and scam websites results in your search and automatically blocks them.
(5) Anti-Phishing Technology blocks bogus websites created by cybercriminals to steal your identity and your money.
(6) Norton Identity Safe let you log into sites with one click and automatically fills the web forms to prevent cyber criminals from stealing your personal information as you type.
(7) Norton Identity allows you to save your most recent login passwords on a USB device so and use it as required
(1) Norton Antivirus 2011 acts as Antivirus Software, Antispyware, Antirootkit, and provides Boot Protection, Network Mapping and Monitoring, Pulse updates and SONAR 3 Behaviour Protection in terms of system performance.
(2) Norton Internet Security 2011 includes the following functions and features: Antivirus, Antispyware, Antiphishing, Antispam, Antirootkit, Boot Protection, Identity Protection, Smart Firewall, Network Mapping and Monitoring, Norton Safe Web, Parental Control, Pulse update and SONAR 3 behaviour protection.
Reference: Symantec Website. Visit www.norton .com to get latest and updated versions or features of the above mentioned software.
(3) Antivirus is sufficient for PC which is not connected to Internet or any network. In this case also Antivirus update and scan has to be performed to make sure the security level.
(4) If you are connected to Internet, which is pretty common these days it is always better to have internet security software which gives more features than antivirus alone.
(5) Even though if you have installed either of these, you are not guaranteed to be 100% secure.