Science vs Engineering
Science and engineering are two streams that are taken by a lot of students these days. There are some who cannot appreciate the differences between science and engineering, ostensibly confused by the fact that engineers study those very science subjects that are studied by scientists. This article attempts to highlight the differences between science and engineering to make readers choose either of these streams.
Understanding laws of nature such as those involving physics and chemistry is what science is all about. Science makes us knowledgeable about our world and how it works.
We know that it is the earth that revolves around the Sun, and we also know why we see lightening before we can hear the thunder. Science is basically enhancing our knowledge base by explaining nature to us. It is the science that tells us that how to solve problems in a logical fashion. Science expands our horizons through a knowledge base that is a creation of generations of scientists. The word science itself comes from the Latin word meaning knowledge.
All our knowledge about climate, environment, rivers, glaciers, mountains, biology genetics, diseases, medicines, space, evolution, etc is science. This knowledge is in the shape of testable premises, which is the main characteristic of science. Another notable feature of science is that it is rational and logical and can be explained and proved.
Engineering is the study of the existing body of scientific knowledge to make its use to create new designs and structures. Thus, it is an application of all the body of knowledge that science has produced thus far. This includes totally new designs, as well as learning from past mistakes and creating faster, lighter, more efficient products.
Engineering is creating new products that are improvements upon existing designs making use of the same scientific principles. For example, in the field of mobile phones, every other month we find new and better mobiles with new features in the market. This is a result of the hard work, research, and dedication o the engineers who are always trying to bring better products for us.
Science vs Engineering
• Science is enhancing our knowledge about the universe and our surroundings in a rational and logical manner while engineering is the application of this scientific knowledge to create new and better products and designs
• Science is about how things work and not necessarily about new technologies
• Applied science comes closer to engineering as it thinks of making products that are more useful and better for human beings
• Engineering makes use of science and mathematical principles to come up with better and more efficient structures and designs
• Engineering can exist without science as it takes imagination, trial and error and fantasy to be able to create better products