Skype 3.0 vs Tango
Skype 3.0 for iPhones and Tango are multimedia application over IP that support voice and video calls over 3G and Wi-Fi. The previous version of Skype 2.X didn’t support for video calling and Skype introduced Skype 3.0 in late December 2010 to support video callings on iPhones.
Tango is a Multimedia application for mobiles which allows you to make free video calls over 3G and Wi-Fi. Tango supports iPhones and couple of listed Android phones. Users can download Tango application from app store and install. The main advantage of Tango is, registration is pretty simple and quick and uses your phone number as user name for calling.
Skype 3.0 for iPhones
Skype3.0 is also a multimedia application over IP to make voice, video calls, instant messaging and SMS. Skype offers free voice and video calls between Skype users, call to any phone numbers in the world by charging on per minute rate and a connection fee (Skype Out), sending SMS, Chat, file sharing, call conferencing, call forwarding and local phone numbers worldwide.
Skype has released the new version for iPhone in late December 2010 to support video calls from mobile devices.
Skype 3.0 allows you to share your wonderful moments via iPhone or iPod touch where ever you are as far as you are connected to 3G or Wi-Fi. The big advantage of this is you can share the videos to users on mobiles, desktops, notebooks or iPad.
Skype 3.0 allows you to make video calling from front or back camera in portrait or landscape mode.
Skype users on iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod Touch can make two way video callings to any Skype users except to users on iPod 3rd Generation and iPads. They can receive video calls only.
Skype 3.0 requires apple iOS 4 or above to make video calls but the same version on iOS 3 will only support for voice calls and IM.
Difference Between Skype 3.0 and Tango
(1) Skype 3.0 and Tango supports video calling with 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity
(2) Skype 3.0 only supports iPhones and IPod Touch (4th Generation) as at today whereas Tango can be installed on iPhone as well as some Andriod models.
(3) Address book synchronization is possible in Tango but not in Skype.
(4) Skype is using their propriety CODEC.
(5) IM, SMS, Skype Out, Skype In is possible with Skype but at the moment it’s not possible with Tango. There are high possibilities they will also come up with it soon.
(6) Both use your monthly data plan or it could be used on Wi-Fi.
(7) Both give good quality voice and Video but Skype 3.0 may be a killer application to Tango and Viber.
(8) In Tango, you can invite friends to join which is not possible in Skype, but on the other hand Skype is in the market for long time and many people use Skype.
Tango does supports 3G and WiFi (1) as well..
IMO, Tango video quality > Skype 3.0. It also has a different screen view.