Tofu vs Paneer
Paneer is a popular food product obtained from cow or goat’s milk and used frequently in North Indian kitchens. It is a kind of cheese (not actually cheese consumed in the western world) that is obtained by curdling of milk. Tofu is a food product that is obtained from soybeans and looks just like Paneer. Many people who are not aware of tofu remain confused whether it is different or something similar to Paneer. Despite ostensible similarities, there are differences between Paneer and Tofu that will be highlighted in this article.
Tofu is a food product obtained from soymilk. It is a very healthy solid food product that is versatile and can be used to make many different dishes. It is a vegetarian food product and is loved by non-vegetarians because of its high protein content. It originated in Chinese cuisine some 2000 years ago. It is made by coagulation of soy milk with the resulting product pressed into solid blocks. Tofu is white in color and has a smooth texture. It is low in calories and high in vitamins and proteins with high iron content, as well. Tofu is also called soya curd or bean curd, and it has a bland taste.
Paneer, also called Indian cheese, is a type of cheese that is soft and sold as fresh. It can be easily made at home though it is also readily available in the markets. It is a versatile food product that is used commonly across the Indian subcontinent to make premium food recipes considered at par with non-vegetarian dishes. Paneer is a healthy food as it contains all the goodness of milk.
Tofu vs Paneer
• Paneer is a dairy product as it is derived from milk, whereas tofu is a food product obtained from soybeans.
• Paneer is high on fat, whereas fat content in tofu is quite low.
• Paneer is a type of cheese (Indian cheese), whereas tofu is a soy product.
• Tofu is of Chinese origin, whereas Paneer is of Indian origin.
• Tofu is also called bean curd or soya curd.
• Tofu has more health benefits than Paneer as it is low on calorie count while being high on proteins.
• Tofu is a soy cheese whereas Paneer is a milk cheese.
• Paneer is always sold fresh, whereas tofu can also be sold processed.