The key difference between vein clearing and vein banding is that vein clearing is a viral disease symptom in which veins become unnaturally clear or translucent, while vein banding is a viral disease symptom that appears as bands of lighter or darker colour along the main veins of a leaf.
Plant viruses infect plants, causing different kinds of plant diseases. Once they are infected, plants show different symptoms signalling the infections. Vein clearing and vein banding are two types of viral disease symptoms shown by plant leaves. Hence, this article tries to highlight the difference between vein clearing and vein banding.
1. Overview and Key Difference
2. What is Vein Clearing
3. What is Vein Banding
4. Similarities Between Vein Clearing and Vein Banding
5. Side by Side Comparison – Vein Clearing vs Vein Banding in Tabular Form
What is Vein Clearing?
Vein clearing is a symptom occurred due to some viral diseases in plants. In this symptom, veins become unnaturally clear or translucent. However, this symptom is not a result of the anatomical or cytological change. It arises due to the retardation of the chlorophyll formation.
The first symptom of Hyoscyamus III disease in tobacco is vein clearing. Secondly, it produces the symptom of vein banding.
What is Vein Banding?
Vein banding is another symptom shown by plants as a result of viral infection. The symptom involves visible bands of lighter or darker colour along the main veins of the leaves. These symptoms are similar to yellow mosaic and yellow vein.
Strawberry vein banding virus infects strawberry and causes vein banding in strawberry. During this disease, clear banding patterns arise along main and secondary veins. Vein banding is graft-transmissible by chip-bud grafts and is soil-borne.
What are the Similarities Between Vein Clearing and Vein Banding?
- Vein clearing and vein banding are two types of symptoms that arise in plants as a result of viral diseases.
- Both symptoms are visible in plant leaves.
- Both cause yellow colouration of leaves.
- Also, these symptoms are mainly due to the retardation of the chlorophyll formation.
- Besides, both vein clearing and vein banding may be transient.
What is the Difference Between Vein Clearing and Vein Banding?
In vein clearing symptom, veins appear translucent while, in vein banding symptom, discoloured areas appear along the veins. So, this is the key difference between vein clearing and vein banding.
Moreover, another significant difference between vein clearing and vein banding is that the veins become translucent or yellow in vein clearing, while veins remain in green in veins banding.
Summary – Vein Clearing vs Vein Banding
A symptom is a visible effect of a disease. Thus, vein clearing and vein balding are two symptoms shown by plants due to viral diseases. In vein clearing, veins become unnaturally clear or translucent while, in vein banding, bands of lighter or darker in colour appear along the main veins of the plant leaves. Therefore, this is the key difference between vein clearing and vein banding. Moreover, in vein clearing, the veins become yellow while, in vein banding, the veins remain green.
1. Sheffield, F. M. L. “VEIN CLEARING AND VEIN BANDING INDUCED BY HYOSCYAMUS III DISEASE – SHEFFIELD – 1938 – Annals of Applied Biology – Wiley Online Library.” Annals of Applied Biology, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd (10.1111), 26 Feb. 2008, Available here.
2. “Knowledge Bank | Vein Banding of Strawberry Home.” Plantwise Knowledge Bank, Available here.
1. “Bhendi vein clearingPhoto-0028” By Srigayu1996 – Own work (CC BY-SA 4.0) via Commons Wikimedia
2 “SVBV symptomatology” By Ali549 at en.wikipedia – Own work transferred from en.wikipedia (Public Domain) via Commons Wikimedia