Wax Paper vs Baking Paper
Wax paper and Baking paper, also called as parchment paper, show some difference between them when it comes to their usage and purpose. Although both wax paper and baking paper are used in baking and cooking they show difference between them in their making and nature. It is important to note that both kinds of paper are used as plate covers and also as wrappers of food materials. You will find that both the kinds of wrappers are suitable when it comes to storing in refrigerator. The different coating that are used in the manufacturing processes of wax paper and baking paper as well as their uses will be discussed in this article with the difference between them.
What is Wax Paper?
Wax paper is also known as paraffin paper. Wax paper is also used in baking and cooking. Paraffin wax is used as coating for wax paper. Unlike baking paper, wax paper is less resistant to heat. As a result, using wax paper in an oven can cause smoke in the oven. It will also affect the taste. However, when it comes to microwaves, wax paper is used to cover dishes successfully. It is more suitable than plastic wrap, which melts, and aluminium foil, which is not safe for use in most of the microwaves.
Also, wax paper is not non-stick in nature. Wax is always sticky due its innate property. Due to the sticky nature of wax, the wax paper is used for smudging grease equally unto the pan. Wax paper is less expensive than baking paper.
What is Baking Paper?
Silicone is used as coating for baking paper. Baking paper, or parchment paper for that matter, is known to show more resistance to heat than wax paper. Although bakers use both the types of papers, they prefer to use baking paper more due to the fact that baking paper is non-stick in character. The characteristic of non-stick is more preferable in baking and cooking. It is interesting to note that baking paper is non-stick in nature due to the presence of silicon on it. Baking paper is more expensive.
What is the difference between Wax Paper and Baking Paper?
• Baking paper, also called as parchment paper, is known to show more resistance to heat than wax paper or paraffin paper. In other words, wax paper is less resistant to heat. This is one of the main differences between wax paper and baking paper.
• The wax paper and the baking paper are manufactured differently too. Paraffin wax is used as coating for the wax paper. Silicone is used as coating for the baking paper.
• Baking paper is non-stick in character due to the silicon coating, but wax paper is sticky in nature due to the using of wax in its production.
• It can be said that wax paper is less expensive to buy when compared to the baking paper.
- Wax Paper via Wikicommons (Public Domain)
- chocolate chip cookies on baking paper by jules (CC BY 2.0)