Wedding Ring vs Engagement Ring
Since time immemorial, exchanging of rings, both at engagement, as well as wedding, has been observed as the highlight of the ceremony and has both a symbolic as well as physical meaning. This article intends to highlight the differences between a wedding ring and an engagement ring, as also the purpose and meaning of these two types of rings.
On the occasion of his engagement, man places a ring in the ring finger of the left hand of his partner. This is taken as a betrothal gift that expresses the desire of the man to wed the girl later in the future. Engagement ring usually has a diamond in the centre and is made of solitaire. These rings are worn mostly by women before their marriage to declare to the world about their status. Men usually do not wear engagement ring though in the market these days, engagements rings for men are also available.
As the name implies, these are rings that are exchanged between the groom and the bride and worn on the ring finger of the left hand. While this ring is the only ring in the hand of the groom, woman has to make way for this ring by forcing the engagement ring further down to wear the wedding ring. Wedding ring can be purchased along with engagement ring as a set or separately if one is not sure of marriage with the person one has been engaged. The set often has rings that are compatible with each other. Wedding rings are simpler than engagement rings. These days’ simple gold or silver bands are in vogue for wedding rings. In some cases, engagement periods are very long and, for this or the other reason, it does not make sense to purchase rings in a set.
What is the difference between Wedding and Engagement Rings?
• While men wear wedding ring only in most cases, women wear both engagement as well as wedding rings.
• Engagement ring is given by the man to his girlfriend on the day of his engagement, and she wears it to declare her status with the man till they marry.
• Engagement rings are bolder and are diamond solitaires.
• Wedding rings are simpler and are gold or silver rings though elaborate rings are also worn by men and women depending upon their choice and budget.
• Engagement ring is more expensive and draws attention of all.
• Wedding ring is so designed so as to match the engagement ring as it sits next to engagement ring in the ring finger of the woman.