The key difference between diffuser and humidifier is that diffusers are usually smaller and are made to be used with essential oils, whereas humidifiers are larger and are made to help in increasing the humidity level in the air.
Diffusers make an area refreshing and nice smelling. Humidifiers add humidity to the environment and are therefore good for dry climatic conditions. There are various kinds of diffusers and humidifiers. Nebulizing diffusers can be used as humidifiers, and ultrasonic humidifiers can be used as diffusers. Both diffusers and humidifiers can be noisy. They are best for adults, kids, and those with nasal congestion.
What is a Diffuser?
A diffuser is a device that is used to disperse essential oils into the air. It releases the aromatherapeutic effects and a scent to be inhaled. It is a fine vaporizing mist with a cold effect that is capable of aromatizing and purifying an area. This fine mist has a relaxing effect on the skin and helps to prevent dry skin. It also can reduce the amount of fungus and bacteria in a room, lessening the health issues that may arise.
Diffusers can uplift the mood and energy level of a person due to their essential oil content. These are designed to distribute the aroma given out from a few drops of essential oils that are mixed with water. Diffusers can also be a little costly, and some can be noisy. Only distilled water should be used with the diffuser for health benefits. Diffusers come in various sizes, shapes and types.
Types of Diffusers
- Ultrasonic diffuser – comes with automated features like auto shutoff, timer and auto mode. Breaks down a solution of water that has been mixed with a few drops of essential oils into a fine mist and releases it into the atmosphere
- Nebulizing diffuser- the effect of essential oils would be felt in the atmosphere within a short time
- Electric heat/evaporative diffuser- makes use of electricity to heat the essential oil that is poured into a small cup. It warms the oil and, as a result, spreads the scent around the room
- Candle diffuser – the flame in this heats the oil and diffuses the scent. These are very fancy diffusers and comes in different styles
- Reed diffuser- this works by placing wooden sticks or reeds into a bottle of essential oil
- Terracotta diffuser- beautifully designed clay pots that are completely closed at the top
What is a Humidifier?
A humidifier is a device made to keep a set level of moisture in an area. People use humidifiers to treat the symptoms of flu, cold and sinus congestion. It relieves asthma and allergies. This moistens the air inside the room in dry climates, winter or fall when the heater is turned on. Humidifiers prevent people from having skin problems due to dry air and even helps them to fall asleep. They ease the harshness of the air breathed in while sleeping and thereby help with snoring. They add moisture to the air in the form of a warm mist.
Humidifiers are even good for furniture since they will keep the furniture from cracking. Since most humidifiers at present use plastic, the essential oil cannot be used in them as it will break the plastic components in these devices.
Types of Humidifiers
There are various types of humidifiers such as,
- Central humidifier – this is installed directly into the home HVAC system, which could be an air conditioning or heat unit.
- Impeller diffuser- this makes use of rotating discs that spin at very high speeds. It breaks water into mist and releases them into the atmosphere
- Evaporators – they heat water until evaporation and blows the vapour through a filter by increasing humidity in the air
- Steam vaporizer- This is electrically powered, cheap and portable
- Ultrasonic humidifiers- this makes use of vibrations, which breaks down water into mists
What is the Difference Between Diffuser and Humidifier?
A diffuser is a device that is used to disperse essential oils into the air while a humidifier is a device made to keep a set level of moisture in a room. The key difference between diffuser and humidifier is that diffusers are usually smaller and are made to be used with essential oils, while humidifiers are normally larger and are made to assist in increasing the humidity level in the air.
The following infographic lists the differences between diffuser and humidifier in detail, in tabular form for side by side comparison.
Summary – Diffuser vs Humidifier
A diffuser is a device that is used to disperse essential oils into the air. It gives fragrance and aroma to the air because of the essential oils used. The aroma can enhance the energy level and mood of a person. It reduces health issues by lessening bacterial and fungus infections. A humidifier is a device made to keep a set level of moisture in the room area. It gives moisture to the air and helps in relieving asthma, allergies, dry skin, dry eyes, sore throat, sinus problems and dry nose. The correct moisture level helps for furniture as well. Thus, this is the summary of the difference between diffuser and humidifier.
1. “How Do Essential Oil Diffusers Work? Benefits of Diffusers for Aromatherapy.” Lifestyle Packaging, 7 Sept. 2021.
2. Moore, Kristeen. “Humidifiers and Health: Uses, Types & Risks.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 13 Apr. 2020.