AT&T iPhone 4S vs Verizon iPhone 4S | AT&T iPhone 4S vs Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4S | GSM iPhone 4S vs CDMA iPhone 4S Speed, Performance
AT&T iPhone 4S and Verizon iPhone 4S are both the same version of current iPhone 4S with a slight difference due to the network configuration. iPhone 4S is a 3G Phone, it does not support 4G networks such as LTE, WiMAX. It only supports 2G GSM/EDGE/GPRS and 3G UMTS/HSPA or CDMA technology. AT&T uses 3G UMTS/HSPA+ technology, whereas Verizon is using CDMA technology.Due to this difference in network technology, users will experience speed differences when connecting through carrier network for services. Sprint also uses CDMA technology for its 3G network. The hand set prices of all the three models are same, though the the data plan differs from carrier to carrier. On a new 2 years contract,iPhone 4S 16GB is available for $199, 32GB is for $299, and 64GB is available for $399.
AT&T iPhone 4S (GSM iPhone 4S)
AT&T deploys UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System) network for 3G. UMTS is the successor of GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) standard. GSM and UMTS are widely used technologies; the number of countries using UMTS is much more than the countries using CDMA.
The AT&T iPhone 4S supports the UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) and 2G networks GSM and EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). HSPA offers a maximum theoretical speed of 14.4Mbps. But in practice, it is much less.
Verizon iPhone 4S (CDMA iPhone 4S)
Verizon uses CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access), which is also a wireless broadband technology that uses the bandwidth in efficient manner than other technologies. CDMA uses soft handovers of phone calls when you travel, and it will get signals from multiple towers at the same time and uses the most powerful signal.
In CDMA, there is a great variation of speed, as it depends on position, population density and other factors. The major disadvantage on a CDMA phone is that when you are on a voice call you cannot browse internet; in the sense, CDMA is not capable to carry voice and data simultaneously.
iPhone 4S Verizon model is configured to support CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz). Verizon claims that its CDMA EV-DO Rev. A network offers typical speeds of 600 to 1.4Mbps for downloads, and typical speeds of 500 to 800 Kbps for uploads. In places where the CDMA network is not upgraded to EV-Do Rev. A, users can expect only download speeds of 400 to 700 Kbps and upload speeds of 60 to 80 Kbps. For global roaming, Verizon Wireless global devices support data in more than 205 countries, with access to 3G speeds in more than 145 countries.
What is the difference between AT&T iPhone 4S and Verizon iPhone 4S?
1. The Verizone iPhone 4S has the same features as AT&T iPhone 4S, the difference is the network support.
2. AT&T iPhone 4S support UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), whereas CDMA iPhone 4S support CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz).
3. CDMA has soft handover of calls while on move whereas UMTS does not have this feature.
4. CDMA phone can receive signals from various towers and selects the appropriate signal.
5. UMTS phones will have SIM or Micro SIM cards whereas in CDMA phones there are no SIM cards.
6. UMTS/HSPA 3G connection would be faster than CDMA 3G connection, in General. AT&T claims it is twice faster than the CDMA networks in the country.
7. UMTS phone can carry voice and data simultaneously whereas in CDMA phone it is not possible to use voice and data simultaneously*
* CDMA Development group has announced that soon CDMA networks and handsets would carry data and voice simultaneously.
- Difference Between the AT&T iPhone 4 and the Verizon iPhone 4
- Difference Between Verizon CDMA Apple iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.6 and iOS 4.2.7
- Difference Between Apple GSM iPhone 4 and CDMA iPhone 4
- Difference Between Verizon Apple iPhone 4 (CDMA iPhone4) and Motorola Droid X
- Difference Between Verizon iPad 2 and AT&T iPad 2