Giving Up vs Giving In
If you are not a native speaker of English, to differentiate between giving up and giving in could be quite a challenge. This is because of the fact that both phrases tell or explain the hapless situation where an individual accepts defeat and stops trying. However, there is a subtle difference in their usage and in the contexts each phrases can be used.
What is the feeling you get when told that someone gave up in his endeavor? Or when he gave in? I am sure not many pay attention to this slight change of words, and take it for granted that the two can be used interchangeably. However, on closer look, one finds that ‘giving in’ is indicative of a close fight or accept defeat after battling it out. On the other hand, ‘giving up’ reflects an attitude of hopelessness with acceptance of defeat without putting up a fight.
Thus, while, both ‘giving in’ and ‘giving up’ tell us that the person admitted defeat; he loses after putting up fight in case of give in while give up indicates the act of surrender without trying or putting up a fight. Giving in is used more in the sense of yielding or surrendering after opposing a point of view. On the other hand, give up is also used to describe the act of leaving or stopping a habit such as giving up on smoking.
Let us take up the difference between giving up and giving in by looking at some examples.
She gave up in her attempt to lose weight when she failed miserably after months of trying.
He gave up on her ancestral right on the property.
The team gave up once the captain was dismissed.
The government finally gave in to the demands of the opposition.
The rat, which fell in the tank, fought for its life valiantly but finally gave in.
What is the difference between ?
• Both ‘give up’ and ‘give in’ describe the act of accepting defeat, though ‘give in’ reflects a close fight while ‘give up’ reflects the act of surrendering without putting up a fight.
• You give up habits such as smoking and drinking as you cannot give in to these habits.
• Both, however, express the process of accepting defeat or stop trying.
• Give up is yielding or surrendering without resisting.
• Giving in reflects putting up a good fight before yielding.
No related posts.