Havanese vs Maltese
Havanese and Maltese are two different types of dog breeds originated in two different places of the Mediterranean region. It is always good to compare those differences in appearance and other physical characteristics for a better understanding about Havanese and Maltese dog breeds.
Havanese is a hairy dog breed developed in the Western Mediterranean region. They are small bodied, and covered with long hairs. In fact, they have a double layered coat, but the outer coat is silkier, wavy, and light compared to the inner coat. The long silky outer coat comes in various colours. Originally, they came in white and related colours, but nowadays some other colours are also accepted as standards by many kennel clubs. Their long ears are drooping, and the tail directs upwards with an arch over the back. Their average weight ranges from 3 to 5.5 kilograms and the height at the withers could vary from 22 to 29 centimetres. However, they appear to be slightly longer for their height. The top of their skull is flat and the back of it is more round shaped. They have a full muzzle and it tapers towards the nose. Their dark coloured eyes are almond shaped, and the eyelid is pigmented with black. It is a companion and true pet animal with a strong bond with its owner. Havanese dogs could adapt into any environment as long as their owner is around. This dearly dog can live about 14 to 16 years.
Maltese is a small toy breed originated in the Central Mediterranean region. Their body is compact and square shaped with a length that is equal to the height. Their bodyweight ranges from 2.3 to 5.4 kilograms. They have a slightly round skull and a small nose. Their ears are long and covered by very long hair. Maltese dogs have very dark lovable eyes, surrounded by heavily pigmented eyelids. They do not have an undercoat but the only coat is very long and silky, giving them an adorable look. Usually, they are pure white in colour, but pale ivory tinge is also present. They are lively and playful companion animals, and have about 12 – 14 years of a lifespan.
What is the difference between Havanese and Maltese?
· Havanese originated in the Western Mediterranean region, while Maltese in the Central Mediterranean region.
· Havaneses are available in different colourations, while Maltese are normally pure white and sometimes pale ivory tinge.
· Maltese dogs have a single coat, whereas Havanese dogs have a double coat.
· Maltese dogs have a longer compared to Havanese dogs.
· Havaneses are slightly longer for their height, whereas maltase dogs are square shaped with an equal height and length.
· Havanese has a long muzzle compared with Maltese.
· Havaneses have a slightly longer lifespan compared to Maltese.